Monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpower

I'm want to get a SGI C220-A 22" CRT to go with my new pc, and i have a question. Will i be able to plug it into my system (see sig)? According to the specs it uses 2 15-pin mini D-sub VGA inputs, can someone tell if it will work? I know nothing about monitors so it may seem like a stupid question.

Here are monitor specs just in case:

Manufacturer: Mitsubishi
-Tube Type: 22", 90њ deflection, 0.24mm aperture grille pitch, medium short persistence phosphor, sRGB, SuperBright Diamondtron Totally-Flat Aperture Grille CRT, multi-layered, anti-static screen coating, dark-tint screen and OptiClear® screen surface.
-Dot Pitch: 0.24 mm
-Viewable Size: 20"
-HSCAN: 30-140kHz
-VSCAN: 50-160Hz
-Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz Recommended
2048 x 1536 Max
-Platforms: PC
-Signal Input: 2 x 15-pin mini D-sub VGA
-Power Supply: 100-120VAC
-Dimension: 19.5 in. (W) x 19.1 in. (H) x 18.5 in. (D)
SGI Model: C220-A
SGI p/n: 061-0073-001

I already have a 19" LCD, and don't intend to get another.I just need a CRT to play games on ,cause LCD kinda sucks for games. All i need to know is whether i'll be able to plug it into my system.

If your video card has two DVI connections, you simply need to get a DVI to VGA dongle allowing you to hook up any monitor that uses a VGA connection.

Well I don't know the specifics of your VGA card but many cards now come with two DVI connections rather than a mix of DVI + VGA. If you already have a VGA connection on your card (the connector is in blue), you will not need a converter otherwise yes, you will need one but to my knowledge that is all you would need to connect the monitor to your system.

flowerpower said:
I already have a 19" LCD, and don't intend to get another.I just need a CRT to play games on ,cause LCD kinda sucks for games. All i need to know is whether i'll be able to plug it into my system.

Alright, if that's what you want, but even for fps, LCD's do not always suck for gaming. Whether or not they will play well depends on mainly their response time. I've seen FPS play just fine on LCD's with good response time, but your call.

True, true, both LCD and CRT have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, one thing that bugs me about LCD is the native resoltion thing. I have games, especially older ones that don't support higher resolutions, ideally i want to play both newer and older games and that means changing resolutions often, plus affordable LCD don't support really high resolutions as well. So this is why i'm getting a second (actually a third monitor, already have an old 15" CRT) monitor so i can have the benefits of both CRT and LCD. Thanks to everyone for helping me with this.

Really, high preforming LCD's aren't all that expensive anymore, and for $400, wow, I don't think you'd care about a little bit of performance loss. But yes, CRT will give you the most for gaming, though I'm not certain you'll be able to tell the differrence, but that should be a nice monitor, so good luck :)

Well, just got the monitor today and it works great with my old computer, the colors are very bright so i'm very imperessed with it's overall quality. Only downside is that it doesn't come with NaviSet software, but perhaps i can find that somewhere.Next week i'll get the rest of my parts for my build and put it together and see how it works with the new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back