TechSpot

Monitor shuts off on startup

By morboz
Sep 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone!
    I have searched around for similar issues but couldnt find one close enough.

the problem is my monitor is turned off after the windows logo on startup, it displays the pc startup process up until this logo.
    now, if I boot into safe-mode the display works just fine, furthermore, if I restart from safe-mode into normal-mode the display will work as well.
    this means that everytime I start up my machine I need to go into safe-mode first.
    I tested with a different monitor and the problem remains.
    any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,864   +187

Sound like it may be your drivers for your video card. Lets hope! Or it could be a bad video chip or card, Try reinstalling the drivers with the latest update and see if that helps.

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,067   +169

Laptop or desktop computer?

4. morboz

morboz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Its a desktop
    and installing new drivers didnt fix this issue
    and while its a pretty old card, I dont think thats the cause, I have the feeling its more of a windows problem
    like it dosnt recognize the correct res/refresh rate or something, and only after safe-mode it "remembers" the correct setting
    ofcourse, chances are I am way off :)

5. Tmagic650

This might be a virus or other malware issue. What is the make and model of the video card?

6. morboz

Its a Palit 8600GT

7. Tmagic650

8. morboz

Yes I did....

9. Tmagic650

The video card is probably bad. Because it seems to work in the SAFE MODE, this just means that the video driver is minimal. In standard Windows, the video driver is in full use. Something that the video card can no longer process

10. morboz

But it works just fine in "standard Windows" aswell... as I have mentioned.
    only it takes a restart from safe mode to normal mode to work

11. Tmagic650

Is the bios set for PEG (PCIe) as the first video device? This also could e a power supply issue. Does the card need to be connected to the power supply?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.