TechSpot

Monitor to sleep, Nvidia 8800GT

By MGoran
Oct 16, 2009
  1. Alright, since my PC had crashed due to.. stupid thing, someone we know repaired it. He also replaced the hard drive and it seems he also took out a Hercules card that I had in my pc (I don't know if this could have anything to do with this)

So lately, well actually since I got the computer back when I play some games (not all) after a while my monitor goes to sleep, I had this problem once with my Asus card, but the answer was obvious there, it was overheating because the fan on the card itself had gone up in smoke.

So I thought that it could be that my card was overheating, so when my monitor went to sleep I put my hand close to my card and even touched it, but it was totally not hot and the fan was running.

I have a NVIDIA 8800GT (512MB) and I just updated it to the latest graphic driver. (191.07)

It used to play well before! and some games still run normally without monitor going to sleep.

Specs:

MS-7519
    3072MB RAM
    NVIDIA 8800GT 512.0MB
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
    Antec Earthwatts EA-430D (430W duhrr..)

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

Can you take it back to the person that repaired it, to fix this problem?

3. MGoran

MGoran TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah, he's probably going to recieve it one of these days since he has to install my 500GB HD, but I rather have the problem solved now. :( I want to play..

4. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Sounds to me like the video card is defective. Can you swap it with another one?

-- Andy

5. MGoran

The fan is working and my pc is responding to the card, I can run Sims3 without any problems, without my monitor going to sleep.

6. Tmagic650

Then it sounds like a game setting issue... You may be running the problem games outside the monitors refresh rates

7. MGoran

Hmm.. so what should I do, change the refresh rate on my pc to?

8. Tmagic650

Each game on your PC has it's own video settings... but some do use your PC's refresh rate. What kind of monitor are you using? Make and model?

9. MGoran

HP1902, but I don't think it's the problem of the monitor, it surely is something with the pc.. pff.

10. Tmagic650

You should try another monitor anyway just to rule it out...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.