Monitor won't display anything after installing new RAM

By krisiindo
Feb 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have two RAM slots. I recently bought a new RAM card to upgrade my computer. I installed it onto my motherboard correctly: unplugging the computer, grounding myself, etc. Now, my monitor won't display anything at all, not even the BIOS screen. I removed the new RAM card and left my old one in and it still won't display anything.

I did my research and the two RAM cards that i have are exactly the same, specs and all, and they are compatible with my motherboard.

Someone please help me out :(
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,746   +156

Try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery on the motherboard for a few minutes
  3. krisiindo

krisiindo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

It works now but if i have my two RAM cards inserted, it won't display anything on the monitor. Do i need to modify anything on the BIOS? or my Windows XP settings?
  4. Tmagic650

No, there's no bios settings. One of the RAM slots is bad I think
  5. krisiindo

I think so too. Will cleaning it work? If so, how do i clean it properly?
  6. Tmagic650

Is the inside of the computer really dirty?
  7. krisiindo

Actually not. Lol. May I have to update my BIOS?
  8. Tmagic650

Yes, you can try updating the bios...
  9. krisiindo

I did that. Still no luck. My motherboard is capable of Dual Channel DDR2. How do i activate that?
  10. Tmagic650

The activation is done automatically BY THE MOTHERBOARD! How many memory slots does the motherboard have? 2 or 4? Are they colored in pairs? If they are you must install 2 sticks in the same color slot

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.