TechSpot

Monitor won't display anything after installing new RAM

By krisiindo
Feb 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have two RAM slots. I recently bought a new RAM card to upgrade my computer. I installed it onto my motherboard correctly: unplugging the computer, grounding myself, etc. Now, my monitor won't display anything at all, not even the BIOS screen. I removed the new RAM card and left my old one in and it still won't display anything.

I did my research and the two RAM cards that i have are exactly the same, specs and all, and they are compatible with my motherboard.

Someone please help me out :(

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery on the motherboard for a few minutes

3. krisiindo

krisiindo TS Rookie Topic Starter

It works now but if i have my two RAM cards inserted, it won't display anything on the monitor. Do i need to modify anything on the BIOS? or my Windows XP settings?

4. Tmagic650

No, there's no bios settings. One of the RAM slots is bad I think

5. krisiindo

I think so too. Will cleaning it work? If so, how do i clean it properly?

6. Tmagic650

Is the inside of the computer really dirty?

7. krisiindo

Actually not. Lol. May I have to update my BIOS?

8. Tmagic650

Yes, you can try updating the bios...

9. krisiindo

I did that. Still no luck. My motherboard is capable of Dual Channel DDR2. How do i activate that?

10. Tmagic650

The activation is done automatically BY THE MOTHERBOARD! How many memory slots does the motherboard have? 2 or 4? Are they colored in pairs? If they are you must install 2 sticks in the same color slot