Monitor won't start after 2+ hrs asleep or 2+ hrs powered off

I tried my best not to come'a'botherin' you kind folk ... but I am absolutely stumped

The issue:
My monitor won't turn on unless I reboot computer several times and try to unplug monitor power and plug it back in. I still haven't nailed down a routine that works every time.

Details:
This happens if a) I turn the computer off and it is off for more than 2 hours or so (that is a guesstimate but should give you a relative time frame)
OR
b) I leave the computer idle for several hours (specifically, I normally turn off the monitor before bed, but not the computer, and it won't wake up in the morning)

This normally leads to several hard reboots and messing around with power and dvi cord before it will work.

Computer:
i7 processor
gigabyte motherboard
pci-e hd5450 graphics card
500 gig hard drive
vista 32
several gigs of ram.
monitor is a western digital with a dvi cord

I've tried messing with the s1/s3 bios setting, the pci/peg bios settings (btw, which setting is actually correct? s3 and peg?), replacing the graphics card, changing the computer sleep mode ... both mouse and keyboard are set so they can activate the wake up. I also tried the roomates monitor short term with no luck. To me, that rules out the monitor and video card, plus bios settings. Bios update may be next.

Please let me know what you think- the main thing that confuses me is that it seems to work after the computer tried to boot a few times, almost like it has to warm up first.

Back