Monsoon MH-505 - no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago, purchased 5.1 Monsoon MH-505 along with a (at that time new) Dell XPS, Pentium 4, 3.0ghz, w/1g mem, Radeon 9800, SB Audigy 2, and WinXP. Only had about 60 hours use when I became bed-ridden and have been using a laptop since. Yes, they sat unused for about 3 years. Recently thought of selling both, so hooked them up, and the sound was still great ... ran them for about 20 hours, all was well, then, all of a sudden, the sound was gone.

Hooked up an old set of Altec Lansing desktop speakers and they work great, so it has to be the Monsoons, not the SB Audigy 2.

1) Yes, power lite is on (green) on the "Surround Sound Control Module"
2) No, get no sound via headphones connected to the "SS Control Module"
3) Yes, have run all diagnostics on both the soundcard (just in case) and the speakers,
4) When I play a random sound bit (mp3/wav) on the desktop and unplug/plug-in/unplug/plug-in the "SS Control Module", I do get connection (statickie) sounds thru all speakers.
5) Have them set-up as analog in all settings.

Decided to reformat the hard drive and re-install WinXP, all updates, all drivers, etc. --- connected the old Altec Lansings and they work --- connected the Monsoons and got the same as above.

Any ideas? Help!

Hi and welcome to TechSpot.

have you observed any sound "fading" until the sound is gone?

& that static sound you get from all of your speakers,means loose
grounds (sometimes).

looks like a bad audio cable from your MH-505,since your sound
card works in another set of speakers.

if you're using any audio plug adapter replace it, ie: RCA to 3.5 mm jack.

turbo1 said:
Hi and welcome to TechSpot.
Thanks!
have you observed any sound "fading" until the sound is gone? No sound at all, but see below for what's happening now...

& that static sound you get from all of your speakers,means loose
grounds (sometimes). Static occurs only when I try to plug in the "Control Module" into the sub. (the unit that sits on your desk to control volume, fade, bass & has plug for headphones, too).

looks like a bad audio cable from your MH-505,since your sound
card works in another set of speakers. Think you nailed it, but...

if you're using any audio plug adapter replace it, ie: RCA to 3.5 mm jack.
Not using an adapter.

"Bad audio cable" may be the problem:
I was running a .wav on repeat so I can detect sound if it comes on. I s-l-o-w-l-y plugged the "Control Module" into the sub and got static-kee sound ... I jiggled it in & out and suddenly got music !!! But I can't plug the "Control Module" in all the way in --- as I plug it in, I'll get sound, then as I push it in further, I lose all sound. Looks like it may be either the input on the sub or the plug on the "Control Module" (it's not an RCA or 3.5mm, it's one of those round ones with little prongs in it). I ran the "Diagnostics" and sound is coming from left front, right front & center, then it's super-loud in left rear & right rear. Also, "Volume", "Fader" & "Bass" controls on the "Control Module" don't work, but I get sound out of the headphone plug (w/headphones on). Any more ideas? Thanks!

well,based on how you describe it,really looks like an audio cable problem.

my next approach would be to replace the cable/connector that you
used to connect the subwoofer & the control module.& as per your description,
i guess it's an XLR cable/plug.(check the link below)

http://www.apianotuner.com/img/MicCable-338001.jpg

if that didnt fix the problem,then most likely it dwells between the XLR socket
of your subwoofer or your control module.(check again the link below)

http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/C156283-01.jpg

& for the static,its already a sign of a loose grounds.you get the sound when you
"jiggle" the plug in & out.then you loose the sound when you push it further.

if you can open your subwoofer enclosure to check & see the connection
of your XLR socket,there might be a crack or worn out solder from its pins.
might need a liitle re-solder.sometimes the pins get brittle & needs replacement.

same way it goes with the socket of your control module.

XLR pin outs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:XLR_pinouts.svg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back