More details surface on Motorola's Android 3.0 tablet

Jos

Staff

During last week's All Things D conference, Google's Andy Rubin showed off a Motorola tablet prototype running the long-awaited tablet-optimized version of Android (codenamed Honeycomb). Rubin went through some of the upcoming device’s features without giving up much detail when it came to hardware specifications, but today some fresh information has popped up online including pictures revealing that the 10-inch device is headed to Verizon.

According to reports, Motorola’s tablet will run Nvidia’s 1GHz Tegra 2 chipset along with a 1280 x 800 multi-touch display, 512MB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, front and rear cameras (2MP/5MP), and a microSD card slot. Ports include microUSB, mini-HDMI and a 3.5mm headphone socket; and there appears to be docking contacts along the bottom. In terms of connectivity it’ll apparently support Verizon’s just-launched LTE network, while 3G editions with EVDO and HSPA should be available through other carriers. You can expect both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity as well.

Exactly when it’ll ship and at what price remains unknown, but Motorola is expected to unveil the tablet at its CES keynote on January 5 so it will probably hit Verizon stores relatively soon afterwards.

Permalink to story.

The hardware is interesting, but the apps is what will make it viable.

When is the release date (i know, I know) I am just getting a little wary of teasers.

To me, ( and I may be in the minority,) I just want a devise that I can hand write on, convert it to text and organize my notes. I drives me crazy that after 30 years of laptops, netbooks, whatever, that the best way to take notes is with a pad of paper and a pen.

It's a device after my own heart.

I don't think the software will be an issue. Its and Android device, they don't have as many apps as iTunes, but they have some pretty good apps out there and the stuff that google already has in Android are pretty good.

I think the price will also contribute to how well it does, and looking at the specs looks like it might be expensive... But I want one... I don't know how I feel about being locked into on LTE supplier... that is why I really wish there was at least one base line orstandard around the wireless internet that gets upgraded like wifi standards so they can mass produce chips and move the hardware side of it along and not have device locked into one provider... these things are too darn expensive to be stuck with one provider.

I will be buying one pretty much at launch as long as I can get a WIFI only version. Having more than one unit with internet access is useless especially considering my android fun doubles as a wifi hotspot.

Being a photographer I want something to use as a portfolio and refuse to buy an i-anything.

FINALLY! An android device meeting HD compliant specifications. Now samsung just needs to put that type of resolution on a phone.

@Guest - I know right! Currently, the Kno is the only tablet that has a active digitizer, but it is currently way too "school" oriented to justify (plus it is $$$, and runs on linux [I would rather Android]). Furthermore, all of its "apps" have to run using its webOS browser - i.e no app can access core level OS stuff. I dunno, we will have to see how the Kno pans out.

The Adam comes really close to overything I want, except it does not have a digitizer. Damn! (Also, 10.1 inch screen is the BARE minium I would be able to tolerate. A 13.3" tablet would be really nice.

Back