More memory and why? Windows 7, Pro 64 bit

Larsenex

Greetings Tech Folks,
I have since found out that one of my memory modules is bad. I am a gamer and built my system.
Currently my system spec is as follows:
Intel I 3570K (overclocked to 4.0 ghz, I used the default OC settings on Motherboard.)
Asrok Z77 Extreme 6 motherboard.
8 gigs of Gskill Ripsaws DDR3, 2133 PC3 17000 (1 module died, now running on 4 gigs)
Corsair 850 Gold PS
EVGA Geforce GTX 670 w 2gigs onboard.
Win 7 Pro 64
Seagate Barracuda 1 Terrabyte Drive 7200rpm
OCZ3 60 gig SSD (This is used as a cache drive using Intels SRT technology, set to 'maximized')

I play (raid) EQ2 (high to very high settings), Distant worlds (all expacs), Civ 5, The Secret World, X3, Gal Civ 2, Heroes III and IV, and I spend hours up every night correcting people on the internet. (ok not really.) I also occasionally watch HD movies I have downloaded via HDMI too my TV.
I also use my computer for work. I typically have 3 spreadsheets open along with a browser with 1 or 2 tabs open, in addition to using Open office for documents. Oh and lets not forget using Pandora streaming my music while I am working....

Now I am going to replace my module and get back UP to 8 gigs of ram.

My question is do we (REALLY) need more than 4 gigs for ram?

Also in Win 7 is there (anything) I should set or reset to optimize its performance (such as the page file) or anything else? I used to set the page file when I had Win XP but since we have so much ram nowadays I thought we no longer have to bother.

Any advice is most welcome!

More or less the way you titled. The post. Plus did not get to the question till the end. Maybe?

4gb will get you by for most windows needs, however for a gamer, 8gb is more or less needed for this day and age. The reason being is most games themselves can push beyond 4gb because of a mix of Windows needs, the game, and other apps running in the background.

The minimum I suggest to people when they build any machine with intent to play games is at least 8gb especially because the price for 2x4 gb memory sticks is pretty good and affordable.

8GB is a solid number for any Gaming PC. I won't say you will use all of that 8GB. But, you'll want the extra gigs. Now, if it wasn't in your budget and you had to stay at 4GB, you'd in most cases be perfectly fine.

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any 'optimization' tricks you would recommend for Win 7 or no?

Go into the task manager and check how much RAM you're using while performing your normal tasks.

With only 4GB of RAM it's a good idea to still keep a pagefile because if you hit that 4GB wall you're computer will slow down dramatically.

Do not let "Windows Manage Pagefile Size", but instead,
set both min & max = a fixed number and then reboot.
Defrag the boot system (ie registry and pagefile) using Defraggler.

Fixing the pagesize = 2 to 3x real ram will stop pagefile expansion in realtime which is a nasty performance degredation while it is taking place & it causes the most precious file on the HD to perform very poorly.

Defraggler is a precious tool as it gets the pagefile and all of the registry files into one block each.

With the stuff you do, it wouldnt hurt to go up to 16GB of RAM (if you have your work open while gaming). If you want to speed up Windows, I suggest a clean install.

With the stuff you do, it wouldnt hurt to go up to 16GB of RAM (if you have your work open while gaming). If you want to speed up Windows, I suggest a clean install.
I can't say I agree with the suggestion of going up to 16GB. That seems like a waste of money and potentially a lot of unused RAM. Doing the tasks that he mentioned (Gaming + Work) will probably only use about 6GB - If that. As to how people work and play games at the same time is beyond me.

Did the clean install this past week. I will look into defragler. I will also find where to set my page file. I remember a while back in XP but forget in Win 7. So if ram is currently 4 gigs, I would set page file to 12 gigs.

Let me clarify. I do not do both, (Game and work). I use my computer for both, but not at the same time.

Its primarily used for gaming. I occasionally bring my work home and do that first THAN game. So I would not have both spreadsheets and an MMO open at same time.

Thanks very much!

I can't say I agree with the suggestion of going up to 16GB. That seems like a waste of money and potentially a lot of unused RAM. Doing the tasks that he mentioned (Gaming + Work) will probably only use about 6GB - If that. As to how people work and play games at the same time is beyond me.

Haha yeah. I play Planetside 2 and that eats up 65% of my 8GB of RAM with minamal background tasks open and no programs open. I guess it may just be my PC.

4GB will function, however 8GB is the minimum recommended these days. And considering you are missing one stick for dual-channel memory setup, you should get back to 8GB.

New games these days can definitely take advantage of RAM: Hitman makes a 6GB rig go to 5GB+.

Here's a thread discussing the '4GB' thing, as well.

I can't say I agree with the suggestion of going up to 16GB. That seems like a waste of money and potentially a lot of unused RAM.
I am known to run a minimal system (ie 77 processes and 40% ram usage) due to the laptop, but until one runs many more concurrent programs OR big time games, I would concur that 16gb is an expensive overkill - - my trite little 4gb runs win/7 pro 64bit just fine.

Back