TechSpot

Morro to be named Microsoft Security Essentials

By Jos
Jun 17, 2009
  1. Update (6/18): Microsoft confirmed today that they plan to release a public beta of Microsoft Security Essentials (formerly codenamed Morro) this Tuesday June 23.

Read the whole story

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

I wonder if the built in antivirus will interfere with 3rd party AV applications. If so, Microsoft can keep MSE and I will stick to Avast.

3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

So Microsoft is getting back into the anti-virus market. I've always wondered why they got out of it after the windows 3.1 days.

4. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

I'm more interested if it can stop anything at all!

I somehow feel more secure with 3rd party AV installed, though it'd be interesting to see how it matches up to the myriads of commercial products available..

5. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

When the beta starts, ill let you know how badly it screws up my pc.

6. Although I don't totally expect a high-end A/V, Microsoft is about time to offer a free A/V for all PC users. I expect Windows Security Essentials to be compatible with a 3rd party A/V like Avast! or AVG. The rest of all, great because there will be more barriers against Malicious attacks.

7. This security suite is very light...the scan engine is fast (i don't know how efficient), don't use much ram.... From Live OneCare is a big difference.More friendly GUI, complex settings... I hope this suite will be free and will get a VB100 :D

8. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

Hopefully better than Defender...as it basically stopped nothing.

9. Stonos

Stonos TS Rookie Posts: 29

Looks like that the EU Commission will complain about that...

10. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,536   +327

I bet this does its job properly...Since Microsoft makes half the viruses out there :)

11. polidiotic

polidiotic TS Rookie Posts: 103

Exploits, but not viruses. =/ Just bad coding.

12. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

Oh don't worry, I'm sure they are cooking up some way to argue that Microsoft should not be allowed to include Paint because it somehow defers users from buying editing software....

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.