Most ugly Win32/Heur infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! New to the board. I've spent the last 12 hours following the 8-step malware removal process recommended here, and I'm hoping someone can tell me I've squelched the bastards.

Machine is a Dell Inspiron, running XP MCE, SP2. We're mostly a Mac shop, so It sits gathering dust in my bosses' office and does two things: I check the IE7 rendering of customers' websites on it and my boss has a USB check scanner attached to it. So it gets used maybe once a month. For that reason, we stupidly let the stock PCcillin virus defs lapse, as I found out when I visited a customer's website that had just been hacked with an iframe to the Malware Dimension.

My first experience with a hacked web site and a worthless AV installation. Long story short, we ended up with a severely infected machine, so bad that it seemed some of the malware was deliberately trying to block some of the 8 steps.

The major hurdle was trying to install an effective Anti-Virus to replace PCcillin. First tried AVG Free, which scanned and reported Win32/Heur among other things, but couldn't seem to remove them. I removed AVG and tried Avira Free, but I could never get it to run successfully; I think it was somehow blocked by malware.

After much hair pulling, however, I did successfully run the rest of the process and am attaching the recommended log files. I'd be really grateful if someone who understands them can tell me whether I need to wipe the drive of this little Dell.

My concern is that once-a-month check scanning to the bank that my boss does. Needless to say I've learned my lesson about taking better care of our few PCs.

One final question, I have the iframe link to the malware site that was injected into my client's website. Is it worth passing that along to someone? If so, who?

Thanks so much for any assistance you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back