Mostly random crashes on Packard Bell gaming machine -- Windows 7

Hi. My PC has been crashing a lot. It's about 3 years old now, I'm not sure what model it is but it's a Packard Bell gaming machine. I get one of two crashes:

Screen freezes and computer becomes unresponsive. If I reset the machine then nothing happens on the screen at all and nothing will boot. To fix this, I have to open the machine up and reseat every RAM stick. This crash was random but it also happened every time I plugged my headphones in to the rear headphone jack.

Blue screen of death. I've not got the error code for this because I haven't used my computer for nearly two months.

At first I thought it was my RAM as the problems stopped for a few weeks every time I removed a stick. However, the problems always returned and I ended up with a single stick of 2GB. I'll post my specs below:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 5GB (2x2GB Crucial memory and 1x1GB Corsair)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

My stepdad cleaned the computer entirely - the case and all the components with air (he was gentle) and everything seemed to be fine, but the computer crashed again just now.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your symptoms sound like memory is the issue but this is only a guess at this time. Please do the following...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Back