Mother board change

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am trying to upgrade my mother board
i have an abit kv7 mb chipset kt 600 and im trying to upgrade to an an7 mb nforce 2 chipset
i have run sysprep.exe but my an7 mb will not boot.
my system is a amd 3200+ cpu 1gig of ram and a x800 ati pro vidio card.
with xp pro
can anyone help please
thank you

Welcome to TechSpot

This won't work, the new nVidia mobo uses completely different drivers from the previous Via one. These Via-drivers are currently part of XP, and they dont work with your new mobo.

You have 2 options:
1) Buy another harddisk, make it the Master and change the old disk to Slave. Install XP from scratch with all new mobo-drivers, install other programs. Copy personal data from old HD to new HD. Format old HD and use as storage. Works guaranteed and is the cleanest solution.

2) Put the old mobo back in, make backups of personal data, then go into Device Manager, and uninstall all motherboard-specific drivers and hardware.
Shut down XP. Swap mobos again. Boot on the new mobo. XP will install default mobo-drivers. Then install the CD that came with the new mobo.
This MIGHT work, but not necessarily. NOT advisable as there will be old drivers and mess floating around.

realblackstuff said:
2) Put the old mobo back in, make backups of personal data, then go into Device Manager, and uninstall all motherboard-specific drivers and hardware.
Shut down XP. Swap mobos again. Boot on the new mobo. XP will install default mobo-drivers. Then install the CD that came with the new mobo.
This MIGHT work, but not necessarily. NOT advisable as there will be old drivers and mess floating around.
This could work, but most likely you will need to do a REPAIR of XP. That is what I had to do. And it is also painless, but time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back