Motherboard advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, folks, I need some help.

I've got an older Gateway (model 3200s) with a bad motherboard. After reading some of the other posts on the subject it seems that replacing it may require the install disk, which doesn't exist (long story). My other concern is that there is data on the hard drive that I don't want to lose.

So I guess I have 2 questions. Number one, if I buy the exact same motherboard (Intel Seabreeze T3) what are the chances of replacing it without needing the Windows disk, and what other problems might I run into?

Number 2, if I decide to replace the computer, what do I need to know if I decide to pull the hard drive and use it as an external drive?

I'm pretty much a total novice when it comes to computer repair, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

you may be able to skip the fresh reinstall if you replace the board with an exact same model. you may need to reinstall a few drivers (due to revisions etc.) but it should work. if you decide to just get a new computer, you probably wont need to use the original drive as an external. most cases support at least two internal slots for hard drives so you could just slave it and use it as another drive. this is the best option if you don't wish to make extensive data backups. in other words, just add the hard drive as the secondary located inside the computer and use the hard drive included with the new computer as the main drive with windows installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back