Motherboard and ram compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

domyue

I'm buying the: Asrock 2CORE1333-2.66G Socket 775 Motherboard Bundle

It says it supports DDRII 667/533

I was wondering whether I can put in this and still make it work:
Kingston 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ecc CL5 Unbuffered 1.8V

Thanks a lot!

it should work, it just won't run at the 800MHz.

i just bought DDR2 800MHz and stuck it in my 667MHz mobo and it just runs slower is all.

yea pretty much,

i could have just said that straight up, i tend to go off on tangents when talking about certain things :p

Sorry I added this bit just before you replied I think:

Oh btw, do you think its worth getting an E2140 that's overclocked to 2.66ghz??? I'm thinking of getting this to replace my present P4 3.4ghz. It costs £80 (USD$160), including an Asrock mobo.

Or do you think I should wait it out and get a faster core2duo once quadcore technological advances make core2duo cheap??

oohhh compelling question, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me, i would pick it up

thats what i paid for my current setup last year, and its not near as good as this so obviously prices are going down.

if you wait you might get lucky, but if not and you buy it now it might get cheaper, its really hard to say.

id grab it now if it were me, and in the future if you want to go faster you could just grab the newer core2 but for now that should work great.

dya think the trend will go away from core2duo and towards quadcores and the new Athlon Phantom chips??? They look AMAZING....I realise the prices are probably gonna rock your bank account, but surely the good thing is that core2duo (and maybe even quadcore) will be majorly reduced in price, being a bunch of outdated technologies.

Both the core 2 duo and the core 2 quad processor lines are excellent in thier own rights.

The core 2 duo processors offer far more flexibility for overclocking than the quads do, which is one reasons why many gamers prefer them over the quad cores.
Additionally, the lower heat output of the duos makes them an ideal choice for a powerful home theatre pc where there isn't much room for additional cooling, and silence is at a premium.

The quad cores offer a lot of sheer power, but little flexibility, and even at stock speeds can be challenging to keep cool because they put out so much heat.

Currently, both processor types have their applications, and because of this neither one is really "better" than the other.
Eventually a revised quad core may emerge that offers the same appealing features that the core 2 duos offer currently in addition to being the powerhouse which the quad cores are, in which case the market would gravitate towards this all-in-one package. For now though, this isn't an available option, and it's likely that the market will remain split because of it.

Just my .02.

oh thats v interesting! Thanks! I think I might go for the deal just cos its so cheap and I can use it as a spare PC cos I have spare parts. But the spare graphics card and stuff weren't really that well stored and people have been handling them without anti-static precautions... you think its still usable without damage?? Is anti static damage really when it is plugged into the PC??

Many graphics cards and other PCI expansion cards can be surprisingly resilient even without proper handling, just test out the cards, there's a good chance that everything's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back