Motherboard BIOS update won't work among other things..

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanAwfulitch

Right now I'm running:

Windows 7 64 bit

on:
MSI P35 Neo Combo motherboard
2 gigabytes DDR3 1066
BFGtech Nvidia 9800gtx+ 512mb
160 gigabyte Western digital hard drive 7200rpm
Default BIOS version

I'm not sure just how much more is relevant, so ask if you need more information on my system. Here's my problem:

Today I got another 2 gigabyte stick of RAM for my computer. Putting into Channel B results in a strange error. It tells me that "the performance of overclocking is failed" and refuses to boot windows. It only offers that I can open up the boot menu or go into the BIOS to edit settings.

I deduced that since the memory chip wasn't dead that I was having an issue with the BIOS. I did some research and found that my BIOS was outdated. Version 1.7 is out and it has improved memory capabilities which I assume means that it will support 2 unbuffered sticks of memory.

Attempting to update my BIOS results in another error. It tells me that the version of the file I'm trying to install isn't compatible with my operating system and that I need to check for a version of the file that's compatible with 64 bit.

My BIOS update however only has one (to my knowledge) download link on the MSI homepage, and it says NOTHING with regards to whether it's necessary to have a 64 bit version of it or not.

Please...someone has to have some insight here. I know someone has a clue on how to fix this. Anything any of you can offer me will be very much appreciated. I've already tried asking MSI tech support for help but they've been essentially useless thus far.

I know that. That's why I wanted to upgrade to a second DIMM, but my motherboard gives me an error whenever I try. And I figured that since the previous revisions offer improved memory capabilities and compatibilities that my issue revolved around a BIOS update problem.

The methods I've tried really only extend as far as downloading the BIOS update executable and trying to get it to run. Another method that I am not sure will work is if I create a bootable flash drive and try to update that way.

Well I suppose a BIOS update may resolve the problem... but since you have access to the BIOS settings with two DIMMs installed I would try putting in the factory spec settings (voltage and timings) in manually, just to see if that helps. The motherboard may be assigning invalid "Auto" settings...

Only after that would I attempt a BIOS update; the easiest way to do so is with a bootable CD-ROM or floppy diskette.

I haven't overclocked the RAM at all so I can't understand why it would give me an error like that. I've also tried loading both the factory settings AND assigning the timings myself. Neither has been successful.

well in that case flashing BIOS is worth a shot, and if that doesn't work it's likely the RAM is just faulty. may i ask what brand of memory it is?

One stick is Crucial and the other is Kingston. I've tested both and they're both working well. Both of them work solo in channel A. But as soon as I put both in any configuration into both channels, it gives me errors.

well they should work if they are rated at the same speed, voltage etc.. but i'd recommend using identical modules. regardless, try the BIOS update and see what happens... make sure to clear CMOS before doing so though. good luck.

One other way to flash the BIOS is by the use of MSI's Live Update Utility which you can download from their website.

The utility doesn't work, and many other MSI users warn against using it. For me, it always crashes or gets an error on the page.

Price and availability dictated my choices. I'm very familiar with the rules of mix-and-matching RAM. What I'm more concerned about is getting my BIOS updated.

The utility doesn't work....
That's too bad. My experience was different as I was able to update the BIOS on one of my MSI boards using their Live Update utility. It was an older K8N Neo4 Platinum board. I wouldn't have recommended it if I had a bad experience with it.

That said, is the error message you got related to the BIOS flash utility which is included with the downloaded BIOS?

Which error message are you referring to?

If you're referring to the one about the failed overclock attempt, that's on startup

If you're talking about the error that I need to find a version that's compatible with my current operating system, then yes, that is the one related to the flash utility that's included.

Yes, the second one.
Attempting to update my BIOS results in another error. It tells me that the version of the file I'm trying to install isn't compatible with my operating system and that I need to check for a version of the file that's compatible with 64 bit.
Perhaps there is a way to flash the BIOS using DOS and a floppy or flash drive.

AMI BIOS website has an amibios flash utility. I've never used it nor do I know if it will work on your motherboard but you can check it out here: http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm There is a download link for the utility on that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back