Motherboard change help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically,
Last week, downloaded the new BF2 demo, and realised that finally, after 2 years of loyal service and dedication, the sun had begun to set on my GeForceMX440, and it was time for a new card. Anyway, after a week of trawling through endless etailers, i found the card that i wanted, and NVidiaGeForce6800GT 256MB, etc etc. Now, when checking out my PC to see if it could actually handle such a card, i realised that my motherboard only supported x4 AGP, which as you guys know out there, is not the x8 that is required of this generation of card. Seeing that i really don't want to get a card any older than this because i want it to last me a few years at least, i have come to the conclusion that infact i am going to have to purchase another AGP supporting motherboard, obviously of x8. As this is expensive and not to say the least, bloody complicated, i was wondering if any of you bright sparks out there may have any other solutions! ok this is my pc
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?sernr=024519220789
yeah i know its 2 years old but it hasnt faulted me yet lol. anyway thanks for reading and some intelligent advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks guys

p.s o yeah also like- if a motherboard change is the only option, can you tell me at least where to start because i am way out of my depth- i.e. what i need in my new motherboard apart from agp x8 lol, and how to replace my old one with it! thanks again

What's your budget?

I think the answers will largely depend on how much money you want to put into this project.

If you are looking for a graphics upgrade and you are replacing your mobo consider moving to a board with PCI-Express graphics. That would give you a longer life to your investment and the graphics boost is nice indeed. Of course, if you go that far you are probably looking at a new processor and memory as well.

Also, what size power supply do you currently have? Newer graphics cards need more power and most stock computers don't supply much of that.

- Bob

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The graphics card you are thinking of buying, would work with your existing mobo.

There really isn`t that much difference between agp 4x and agp 8X

So if you put an 8X agp card in a 4X agp slot all it means is the card will run a little slower. Although probably you wont notice any difference.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

ok thanks guys. Bob my PSU is 250w, which i am thinking of changing anyway cos yeah all the new cards eat like 300-350w. But if i change my motherboard to a PCI-Express like you suggested, why while i need to change my processor and memory? I really know nothing about this subject lol hence the post. I mean, using UK prices i was prepared to pay like 200 pounds no more for my card, and the one i mentioned just went over that (i think thats like $400), but when it came to the motherboards, i was looking at some that were like 50-80 pounds (once again i think thats about $100-$150). I mean i dont know what to look for in a new mobo at all, apart from maybe PCI-Exp like you suggested, and yeah like you said it would be looking at not having to replace it for a while, so maybe you could advise me on that too? lol thanks.
Also, Howard, why would the card not be notciably slowed? Eventhough i probobaly am going to get a new mobo now, i am intruiged all the same.
Thanks guys this is really helpful advice.

If you do a Google search for "whats the difference between 4x agp and 8x agp"

You will find lots of info on the subject.

Regards Howard :D

Hey Hey,Beware!

If Your MotherBoard support only 4X,Bewear u might not hav any display when u start your com up!Get A MSI Motherboard course it is good.it has a input for subwoofer.NO ONBOARD GRAPHICS suports 8x n 4x graphics

GOT SOME MORE PROB??email me at luv2playcs@gmail.com

Yeah, you could just get an agp 8x/4x compatible card, it would work. 4x is half the speed of agp 8x, but graphics cards don't use all the speed of agp 8x yet, let alone pci-express. So a 4x slot will not degrade speed much at all, that's about all graphics cards use.

But if you want more "future readiness", pci-e is the way to go, as it is newer, faster, and not significantly different price wise.

You may need a better psu, as has been stated, be sure to get a name brand, as no name psus are junk. Get somethink like enermax, antec, vantec, ocz, tagan, seasonic, power pc & cooling, and fortron/sparkle(the higher models).

Most pci-e motherboards use newer cpu sockets, 775 for intel, and 939 for amd, so older cpus are most likely not going to work.

What is the primary use of the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back