Motherboard/CPU fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe either my motherboard or CPU is dead. It may be my PSU, as I haven't gotten around to testing it yet. I was using it just earlier, and it suddenly shut off and wouldn't reboot. I unplugged and replugged the PSU, and that allowed it to turn on, but that's pretty much it. No POST beeps, no video. All of the fans and LEDs inside turn on.

So far, I've tried booting with no RAM, and each of two chips at a time. I've reseated the CPU, checked all connections, and generally cleaned it out. I have an older mobo/ram/cpu that I'm going to use to test the PSU tommorow.

At first I was afraid that the CPU had overheated and is now dead (because I had been running it pretty hard for 20 minutes ish just before this happened), but when I looked at it, nothing seemed damaged. There was no burning smell at any time.

Specs are:
EVGA 680i SLI mobo
Intel core 2 duo E6600
2GB (2x 1GB) Corsair Dominator RAM
Tagan 480W(I think...) PSU
BFG 7800GTXOC

Couple other notes:
When I try to boot, the motherboard gives one of two error codes on the display thing - 00 or 88. In the manual, 88 is listed as 'Reserved' (don't know what that means) and 00 is listed under NVidia added codes as 'Initialize hardware devices'
Also, all parts except the RAM, CPU, and Mobo are two years old this xmas. Those three are one year this xmas.

Any help is greatly appreciated

You must get to Windows to do any checking.Have you tried Safe Mode ?
If you get there use a Restore point.If not you might need a paid Technision
to find whats at fault,but the three of 1 year are probably warranted 3 years.
I suspect the mbd,and the rest will be ok in a new same Model mbd.
That happend to me but after 5 years but just the mbd was shot.
So take it there.I hope it wasn't an online purchase.

Errr.. you can do plenty of troubleshooting without getting to windows.

You can also boot diagnostic media which uses non-windows OS's- linux in particular.

No POST beeps, no video. All of the fans and LEDs inside turn on.]

Sound like your PSU gave it last breath. Are you able to take your PSU to shop for a test run on older motherboard?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Can`t get into Windows, the system won`t boot!!

If this aint a hardware problem, I don`t know what is.

Psu/mobo are my suspects and I agree with bushwhacker, you should try another psu first.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I cant get into windows at all. Theres no booting taking place. Something different happened this morning. I came down, tried to turn it on just to see, an d this time, it didn't turn on at all. The PSU was on, and the mobo LEDs were on, but the power switch did nothing.

I may have a couple ways to test the PSU. I have an older mobo/cpu/ram setup that i was using with this PSU a year ago that i could hook up and see if they run. Also, if my friend happens to be willing (doubt it) I can steal his PSU for an hour and try that one with my components. I don't know of any tech shops around here that I could bring it to.

Depending on your cases, you may not even need to remove the PSU from either case to test- sometimes you can get lucky and just move the main motherboard power plug from one mobo to the other without surgery. While this doesn't power your drives, it will give you a helpful indication of if the mobo POSTs.

I've occasionally seen this behavior with a bad cpu before, however I admit this is an unlikely explanation. One obvious test is to boot with no CPU, see if the error codes change any. Unfortunately, that can be a bit misleading because of the power drain reduction on the PSU- no CPU may give just enough power to the mobo to get it booted. If all else fails, this may be worth a try.

Did booting with no RAM or with no devices have any impact at all? Any different symptoms? I'm not guessing it did since you were pretty decently detailed in your first post, but it can't hurt to ask.

btw pardon my manners earlier. Welcome to Techspot! :wave:

coywolf said:
I cant get into windows at all. Theres no booting taking place. Something different happened this morning. I came down, tried to turn it on just to see, an d this time, it didn't turn on at all. The PSU was on, and the mobo LEDs were on, but the power switch did nothing....

Either your system is not getting enough power or is dying.

Most PSU have a switch that prevent from causing the serious damages to your system.

LED is on and won't operates.... < Bad PSU.

Try to vertify it and follow up with Goalie's post.

well i just got home. I was just about to test it, but then my dad suggested we go buy a new one at Frys. (if it ends up not being the PSU, he gets that one for his new computer, if it is the problem, we get a second for his computer later)

I'll update in a bit about how it turns out.

EDIT: and no, there was nothing different when i booted with no RAM or other devices. I was hoping for some wild beeping at least, but I got nothing.

MORE EDIT: well my dad was taking too long to get ready to go. I hooked up the power supply to the old board/cpu/ram. Still got nothing. I'm hoping that's a good sign, and that i just need to replace the psu. Again, after we go, I'll update with what happens.

well, i went and got a new power supply. pulled old one out, hooked up the new one. Still nothing =/. I'm still getting all the fans and the mobo leds running, but no beeps, no video, nothing. Is there a way I can test either the mobo or cpu specifically? From other things i've read, I'm leaning towards the mobo over the CPU, but It'd be nice to know for sure before I waste more time getting a replacement.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to. My old motherboard had a four pin connector. But the one I got last christmas(current) had an 8 pin, so I did as the old power supply instructed and fit two of the 4 pin cables together.

this is what i had been doing since I got the mobo, and it's worked just fine until a couple days ago.

ive reseated the cpu, tried running with no ram, video card, or the pci sound card, then with all of those being placed in one at a time. Still nothing.

the 6 pin cable? yes, thats always been connected.

I've been thinking something failed, because it happened on just some ordinary day. I hadn't touched the inside in months (except routine cleaning). It doesn't seem like it could be a connection problem. Though, it's entirely possible i don't have any idea what im talking about either..

I don't have another video or pci card to use. Just a spare motherboard/cpu/ram. None of which will individually work with my current parts, because the older mobo/cpu is amd, and my current is intel

Can you go and pick up some 10 bucks PCI card ? There should be the old trident card in the computer shop.

Can you try that one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back