TechSpot

Motherboard dead or power supply?

By SandraTrying
Sep 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Just to let everyone know first, I'm not very techy/good at this stuff. I know several things but I'm far from good haha.
    So my problem:
    Every time I turn on the power for my computer the fans run but the light on the power button blinks once and then stays off. I have to try several times to hold the button/turn it off and then try turning it on again before it totally starts. I'm wondering if this is just a power supply problem or a motherboard issue? I've got an Acer Aspire AX3400-E2202 AMD Athlon IIX2 215 dual-core processor.
    Also, if I were to get a new power supply unit would I have to stick to the watts of what it is now or could I move up to something like 300?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

Yes try a new power supply first... 350 to 500 watts is okay

3. mike1959

mike1959 TS Addict Posts: 1,105   +22

Changing PSU

It might sound obvious, but it would be a good idea to take a few photo's of the whole PC motherboard, and some close-up's also, so that you plug all the wiring into the right places.
    It's REALLY EASY to leave a plug out when re-building a board, and not to be able to remember what it was like before.
    Look at the main power connector onto the motherboard, it is made up of a long plug AND a small plug. It's very easy to forget to plug the smaller one in, and the PC will not run, of course.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.