Motherboard help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I've been curently fixing my fathers computer for over a year now, I've thought I knew a lot about computers until I starting working on this piece of junk.

Let me explain the situation.

The computer is a custom built computer, from a dead guy. Ya you heard me right. He built the computer and 2 weeks later he died. Therefore the builder cannot help, so I'm hopping you can.

Hear are the specs before I continue:

Motherboard: A7V8X REV 1.xx (asus)
Biosversion: ASUS A7V8X ACPI BIOS Revision

3gb of ram

Radeon 7000 graphics
Processor: AMD athlon

Primary drive: FUJITSU MPF3102AT ( 9.54 GB) (IDE
Secondary drive : Samsung Promise 1+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device (232.88 GB) (SATA)

Now the way the dead guy set it up, is he put the smaller hardrive just for Windows and wanted to set up the larger hardrive so everything would automaticly save to the larger hardrive (programs, files ect)

What did happen was he was falling ill so he didnt realise his mistake, I realised it soon after my parents were complaining the computer was getting slower, at that time buddy was already dead.

So what I've been trying so desperatly to do, was to make the samsung hardrive as a primary (SATA), but everytime I go into bios, it never shows up.
When I try to set up the boot setting, the only harddrive it will recognise is the IDE.

I don't mind resetting the entire computer, and yes it has been assigned a letter, in fact this post is brought to you by the letters "F"ML lol

So I plain and simply need help hear, I'm getting to the point on sabotaging the computer so they just buy a new one, but I'm very stubborn like most techs, so its hard just to give up on something you worked so hard and long on. ( calculated almost 50 hours into this computer, on more various problems then this don't get me wrong).

Moral of this post is "Don't buy a computer from a dead guy!! lol"

So in the end I was wondering is anyone can help me out here!, or if sabotage is the next step.

Thanks,

R(elbroko)F

Does the Samsung SATA drive show up at all in the BIOS page where all the devices are listed?

Usually on the Boot Setting page only the 1st HDD as decided by the mobo is shown. You should find that option somewhere in the BIOS; I can't remember exactly where. Change the setting to make Samsung HDD1 and it should come up in the boot option.

I'm not too sure whether I understood your problem correctly though. If nothing works, could it be a faulty cable that prevents the HDD from getting detected?

The sata drive is not detected at all in the bios menu, only the IDE wants to show up. Even when I disconect the IDE drive, the SATA won't show up , its actually very fustrating. The samsung shows up as a secondary drive on "my computer" and I'm able to use it as a full out storage device, but because the 10 GB IDE drive is the main drive, all the programs, files, storage, etc all goes to the smaller drive and slows down the computer when everything clutters up.

Even if its possible to just be able to set the larger SATA drive as the main default storage drive, even that would be good for me.

I suggest that you disconnect the IDE and plug in the SATA. Then try and nboot using the Windows disc and see if the OS installs on it.

I can't help noticing that the "SATA" drive you guys are talking about is showing up as a SCSI disk device.....

Either this is a mistake in the BIOS itself, or you'll need some SCSI drivers. Given that I'm not familliar with SCSI, I'm gonna shutup now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back