Motherboard or PSU Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uni8685

Hey guys, i've been going through a lot of the posts and can't seem to find one that exactly fits my problem. So I recently changed cases and I installed the motherboard and other computer devices into a new case and forgot to install the base screws. As a result, the motherboard was touching the surface of the case. After installation, the computer work perfectly for two days, when one day it froze and has since then refused to boot. Upon pressing the power switch, the cpu fan and the case fan turn on, but the power supply fan does not. In addition, there is not a beep sound when the system is powered up. I have removed all components and have tried to run the system with just the motherboard, the cpu and one memory stick, but it still refuses to boot. Is this a motherboard issue? If so, i've been thinking about upgrading, nothing too fancy, but what are my upgrade options? Or is this a power supply issue since the power supply fan refuses to start even though the cpu and case fans do? I've also tried removing the cmos battery and putting it back in and that doesnt work. Hope to hear from someone soon. Thank you.

So i'm becoming more and more convinced that its a motherboard short circuit. I followed those bench testing steps before my first post. Furthermore at the end of the passage, it discusses mounting the motherboard, which is what I think the real problem is-- i initially forgot to mount-- and how this can cause a short circuit. That said, I went back and tried a different power supply. While unlike the previous psu, the new psu fan started, but the system failed to post (no beep).

So what do I have here? Bad psu and a motherboard short??

Ok, so I have a bunch of questions:

Do you think I should try and find the same model motherboard, or do you think any other socket 478 will suffice? If the latter, is it ok to but one with ddr2 even though the previous motherboard is ddr? I'd keep all other components instead of the memory. Next, do you suspect that the original psu is fine even though its fan doesnt start when the system powers up? Lastly, since i'm getting a new motherboard and will have to reinstall windows vista, is there anyway I can keep my previous vista settings? I think there may be a thread for that last question, if so, can you point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much, you have been very helpful.

why not get a new MOB and processor, then the DDR2 would be gold, and u would have a basically new system with Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back