Motherboard Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I get a message like "PCI System Error on Bus/Device/Function 0000h" upon bootup in POST, but the system will continue to boot as usual.

Another problem is that the screen randomly goes blank (sometimes, in Windows, sometimes while loading Windows, sometimes even in BIOS). Everytime the screen goes blank, my laptop is not giving any response at all. No matter wat key I typed on the keyboard, or mouseclicks, it just doesnt respond. Even an attempt to eject the DVD tray is met with no respond.

Could all this be due to a problem with my laptop motherboard?

Specs
=====
- Processor: Intel C2D T5500
- Graphic: nVidia GeForce Go 7600 (dedicated 256MB)
- Memory: 2GB Kingston
- Make: Compal
- Model: GL30

If anything, this is probably RAM or Hard drive related. I'm not very sure which because it's one of the first times I've seen this error. But a google search showed that people who got the error that switched out their hard drive and RAM for new stuff ended up solving the problem. I'm not saying this will work for you, but it's my best guess. If I were you, I'd wait for someone else's opinion before you do anything. I don't want to cost you money just because of a bit of guesswork.

don't think is the hard drive as the hard drive is relatively new, only abt 1 year plus. as for the RAM, well, I'm not pretty sure. Anyone else with a different opinion?

I am guessing from what I've seen about this error before i.e. it probably is related to upgdating firmware/bios of your system / or devices such as HDD firmware.

However, before further dwelling into this, you can try a simple trick that is ... reset your BIOS settings to factory default and see what happens.

I agree that it has to do with an non updated Bios/firmware. So what i suggest doing. is if you cannot make it onto the internet in normal mode than try safe mode with networking. And when on internet google your full computer name. mine for example would be Compaq presario s4100nx. so type your full pc name into google then add drivers at the end of the name and then update your computer with as many newer drivers you can.
Hope this helps! :)
good luck.

Thanks. Yeap, I've tried restoring to default factory settings. I'm not too concerned abt the Bus error actually, it's the screen blank problem that has stumped and annoyed me the most. VGA problem? But then VGA shouldn't have caused it not to respond even to an attempt to eject the DVD tray isn't it?

I've a copy of the latest drivers and bios. But I don't know how to flash a BIOS. is there a way that i can backup my current bios so that if I screwed up while flashing the BIOS, at least i can kinda "restore" them? (Is that even possible in the 1st place?)

I've a copy of the latest drivers and bios. But I don't know how to flash a BIOS. is there a way that i can backup my current bios so that if I screwed up while flashing the BIOS, at least i can kinda "restore" them? (Is that even possible in the 1st place?)
You can revert back to your old bios if you can find your previous version.

I've googled up a little bit on flashing BIOS. But I don't understand how to restore the old version of the BIOS if I can't start up at all. I've only read up on flashing bios through a Windows-based app.

Well that is a chance you probably have to take i guess. But before proceeding on any such adventure, it would be highly recommended that you backup all your data. Do you have restore media provided by your notebook manufacturer? It can be handy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back