TechSpot

motherboard, ram, cpu upgrade blue screen when booting

By madman_ncfc
Dec 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. first things first hello everyone

ok my problem started today when i recieved all that was needed to give my dads computer my old motherboard and processor

after i had re-built the comuter in a new case with the new processor new ram and new motherboard i turned the computer on hoping for windows to boot normally however whenever windows starts i get a blue screen that falshes for less than half a second and the computer restarts

i have tried putting the hard drive and CD drives back in the old case and then installing the drivers for the motherboard but that doesnt work however i can have the computer running that way i understand that i may need to repair windows but i dont know how to get passed the bit where it asks for a password

any help would be much appreciated

EDIT: in case it helps my prcessor is a 2800 athlon socket A and my motherboard is an MSI
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. madman_ncfc

madman_ncfc TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

would this loose everything if it were to go wrong?
  4. howard_hopkinso

Normally the process leaves all your files intact. However, it`s a good idea as with any major undertaking to back up your important data.

I have run the repair process quite a few times without problems.

Regards Howard :)
  5. madman_ncfc

madman_ncfc TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Cheers Howard
    I tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly
    The reason why it took meso long to do it is that i had to wait for my dad to back up his stuff
    Anyway Thank You!!!
    :D :grinthumb :grinthumb :grinthumb :D
  6. howard_hopkinso

Glad your problem is solved.

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.