Motherboard replacement in an m8400f hp computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazman526

I was thinking of eventually replacing the mobo in my computer, the current dimensions are 9.6 by 9.6 and I found an amazing mobo that I might consider getting that would def. fit my new graphics card, the only problem is, those specs are 9.6 by 12, My question is would it still fit?

Depends on your case actually. You'd need to measure the internal dimensions to make sure. You can also ask HP Support if it's a micro-ATX case. If it is, you can't buy that mobo, since only micro-ATX mobos will fit in it.

hmm... does anyone know a good up to date nvidia, micro atx mobo with the measurements 9.6 X 9.6 for between 100-200 dollars? but lower is good too... and it has to have a PCIe 2.0 X16 slot for my new graphics card and an extra expansion slot because it requires two slots to fit

Unfortunately, LGA 775 mATX SLI boards do not exist AFAIK.

You will have to settle with an ordinary board with a single PCI-E slot, or a Crossfire-supporting mATX board.

The GA-G41M-ES2L is a great all-around board with a single PCI-E slot. For Crossfire support, I recommend the DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS as your only option.

I read a review for the GA-G41M-ES2L and one of the ppl said their GTX 260 blocked one of the Sata ports, also, another review said that it isnt good for use in a gaming machine, so im thinkin of gettin the

DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS Core 2 Quad/ Intel P45/ FSB 1333/ CrossFire/ A&GbE/ MATX Motherboard

I wouldn't advise using the GTX 260 in an mATX case. It will be extremely cramped, and the GTX 260 runs hot, so it'd likely overheat in that case.

Again, have you confirmed with HP or via measurements that you cannot use an ATX motherboard your case? New cases are fairly inexpensive (<$50), but it'd be best to make sure your case cannot really fit ATX mobos.

what about a GTS 250? and ill check the measurements for the case when I get my card back but ill post them, but if that card isnt compatable with the motherboard, I wanted to get a modern motherboard that is a mATX

I wouldn't try to fit anything larger than a 9600GT in your case. Dell cases have poor airflow as it is, and putting a powerful video card in there is just asking for trouble.

Also, you'd likely need a PSU upgrade for a new card, since your current one is likely not powerful enough.

PCIe 2.0 cards will run on non 2.0 mobos.

Just slower.

And yea, nothing bigger than a 9600 or 9800

heat will become a problem.

EDIT** DFI LanParty mobos are amazing IMO, Ive built several rigs for other using them. The oldest dating back to the first DFI LanParty mobo made.

A PRO875 running a P4 or something, idr exactly but they're good,

That doesn't mean squat. The PSU will be okay, but please check the case if you can.

One way to do it is to see if the mobo is sitting very snugly in the case. If there is extra room around the mobo, where it could still fit if it was bigger, you may be able to fit a standard ATX mobo in there.

Ok, I open up my computer, there is room for an ATX mobo, but the current mobo is sitting on a platform and the excess space drops off from the rest of the computer, so could it still fit in an ATX?

I don't know unless I can actually see some pics of it. But I compared your case dimensions to mine, and they're pretty similar. My case dimensions are 18.8" x 16.1" x 7.3", while yours are 16.54" x 15.16" x 7.60". I currently have an ATX mobo in mine, so you can most likely have one in yours too.

Is there a friend with an ATX mobo who can help you out by allowing you to put his\her mobo in the case to see if it fits?

awesome, next time I open it up, Ill take some pics and paste them here to show you that "step" thing I was talking about and im not sure, ill check with my friend down the street but I dont want to screw up his mobo in the process, i mean I could get a piece of cut out board that measures to 9.6 X 12 or whatever the specs are for a ATX board

To be honest mate, I really can't tell. I think the best would be to go ahead and use a cardboard cutout the size of a regular ATX board.

BTW, why are you intent on getting an SLI board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back