TechSpot

Motherboard running way to hot

By Trenixlive
Apr 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. For about a week I noticed my motherboard has been running hot on the display on my case it's been showing 130-136 F (alarm temp). All the fans seem to be working, not sure what could be causing this. This screenshot is from right now, only thing running is chrome with 5 tabs open
    Capture.PNG

2. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

Only thing that looks hot from the Screenshot is the cputin and that's probably a glitch reading.

3. Trenixlive

Trenixlive TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yea that's what I was referring to not sure what exactly it is tbh just saw it under motherboard on hw monitor. The display on my case shows it at 134 aswell though

4. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

I would trust those readings more than one on your case, I don't think you have anything to worry about there. 130 F isn't super-duper high anyway (high, but not component frying high).

5. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

You could have a messed up sensor. I get 60c for my cputin value 24/7 even when it was winter time. If you check the web, CPUtin is always giving people glitch results. It just doesn't look right considering everything else in the machine quite cool.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

If you arent running mad overclocks like >4.5 GHz I wouldnt be worried. What is your CPUs speed and what cooler do you use?

7. Trenixlive

CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H60 120MM LIQUID COOLING
    my cpu is at 3.2
    80c 176 F just seems very high specially for just sitting on desktop with browser open

8. JC713

It cant overheat at that clock speed while a liquid cooler is in place...

9. Trenixlive

Yea that's why I found it so strange for it to be so high might be a faulty sensor like someone else pointed out. Was just so random it suddenly stated reading that

10. JC713

Try using RealTemp instead.

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

12. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Seems like incorrect readings. The 600RPM system fan and 4000RPM CPu fan also seem very unlikely.

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

You bet! You'll want to keep your fingers, and all articles of loose clothing and jewelry away from that bad boy......:eek:

Cobalt006 likes this.
  14. Trenixlive

Yea realtemp gave me better reading I guess it was just some crazy false readings. Hadn't noticed that fan speed thank for your help everyone.

15. JC713

Glad your issue is fixed.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.