Motherboard-video card compatibility question

I'm trying to build a computer based off the TechSpot guide for an Enthusiast PC. They have recommended the ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard and the Radeon HD 6870 video card. I want to make sure the graphics card I've chosen is compatible with the recommended motherboard.

Motherboard:
ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229

Graphics Card:
ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

I thought I understood that compatibility was based on the Expansion slots/Interface of the two (the PCI Express slots).

NewEgg says the graphics card is a PCI Express 2.1 x16, while the motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots. I am not sure if these need to match exactly in order for the two to be compatible.

VisionTek makes a Radeon HD 6870 with PCI Express 2.0 x16 (ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129166). I don't know what is a good manufacturer to purchase for this video card, so help on that would also be appreciated (in addition to my compatibility question).

Thanks!

(Sorry for the weird links--TechSpot won't let me add real links to my posts until I have a count of 5 or more..)

Yes, they are compatible. PCIe is backwards compatible, so you could even use that video card with a motherboard with only PCIe 1.x slots and it would still work (with bandwidth reduced to 1.x speed).

Back