Motherboard-video card compatibility question

By Llu
Jul 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'm trying to build a computer based off the TechSpot guide for an Enthusiast PC. They have recommended the ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard and the Radeon HD 6870 video card. I want to make sure the graphics card I've chosen is compatible with the recommended motherboard.

Motherboard:
    ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229

Graphics Card:
    ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

I thought I understood that compatibility was based on the Expansion slots/Interface of the two (the PCI Express slots).

NewEgg says the graphics card is a PCI Express 2.1 x16, while the motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots. I am not sure if these need to match exactly in order for the two to be compatible.

VisionTek makes a Radeon HD 6870 with PCI Express 2.0 x16 (ww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129166). I don't know what is a good manufacturer to purchase for this video card, so help on that would also be appreciated (in addition to my compatibility question).

Thanks!

(Sorry for the weird links--TechSpot won't let me add real links to my posts until I have a count of 5 or more..)
  2. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

Yes, they are compatible. PCIe is backwards compatible, so you could even use that video card with a motherboard with only PCIe 1.x slots and it would still work (with bandwidth reduced to 1.x speed).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.