Motorola Droid 2 exposed ahead of unveiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Assuming the folks over at Droid Life aren't pulling a fast one, then the Motorola Droid 2 has been fully undressed ahead of its official unveiling. Borrowing its looks from the first Droid, the second-gen handset is similar in style, though it's reportedly thinner and it nixes the oft-neglected directional pad in favor of larger keys, which are easier to touch than the original's flat design.

Specifications include a 3.7-inch display, a 750MHz OMAP processor, Wi-Fi tethering, 8GB internal storage and an 8GB SD card preinstalled, a 5-megapixel camera, a new version of Motoblur, and the phone currently runs Android 2.1. Notably absent is a front-mounted camera, but the Droid Xtreme has that feature along with an 8-megapixel HD rear camera and HDMI-out.

Droid Life reports that both the Droid 2 and Droid Xtreme are due in the third quarter of this year and may even launch on the same day.

Permalink to story.

I hope they're right about the improved keyboard. I walked into the mall the other day and went to the Verizon kiosk...picked up the original droid...typed "this is a test" and then walked away extremely unimpressed. The keypad on my BlackBerry Curve 8900 is smaller and I can type much better on it than I could on the original Droid's larger keypad. It was very frustrating. Had I actually bought it, when people visit my house, they would end up asking me why there is a cell phone sticking out of a whole my wall :p

I could do without the MotoBlur, but otherwise I'm very interested in this... I was nearly an early jumper onto the Droid when it first released, but the keyboard really chilled my interest - well, that and some debates and issues about how well it would work with our Exchange email system - RIM still seems to win on that front, so we all got BB 9630s when our contracts renewed.

I'm the proud owner of a rooted droid, the keyboard was new to me, but I've gotten use to it and is easy, so any improvements are a +. Still can't get enough of it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back