Motorola files new ITC complaint against Apple over 7 patents

Leeky

Apple has found itself at the center of another patent dispute after Motorola Mobility filed a new patent-infringement complaint with the US International Trade Commission (ITC). Motorola claims several of Apple’s product features infringe on patents they own, which includes Cupertino's Siri voice recognition software.

The paperwork lists seven patents that claim multiple features such as location reminders, e-mail notifications, phone/video players and Siri are in breach of Motorola’s intellectual property. The smartphone maker now owned by Google is seeking a sales ban on all US imports of Apple’s iPhone, iPad and Mac computers.

“We would like to settle these patent matters, but Apple’s unwillingness to work out a license leaves us little choice but to defend ourselves and our engineers’ innovations,” Motorola Mobility said.

This is the second time the Illinois-based firm has filed a case with the ITC. The first was filed in 2010 following the collapse of licensing talks with Apple. The ITC announced during a preliminary hearing in April that Apple was infringing on one patent relating to WiFi signaling, and is due to announce a final decision on August 24 that could potentially result in the sales ban of Apple’s popular iPhone handset.

During the course of the two-year battle with Motorola, the iPhone maker has insisted that Motorola has been making unreasonable demands and argues that many smartphones running on Google’s Android platform also copy several key patented features on their iPhone. The Cupertino-based firm also argues that federal district courts should be handling the dispute, as the ITC doesn’t have the authority to award damages.

Apple did not respond to requests for comment.

Permalink to story.

That's pretty egregious behavior on Google's part.

To ask for a complete ban of sales of a product is a pretty low blow.

Who does that sort of thing?

Motorola can't make any money as a cell/smart phone manufacture any more. Doesn't it make since for them to become a Patent Troll!

Probably every company who's ever been or will be in that position. It's deplorable, but that seems to be the game... It makes sense that Google's going to play it just like Apple has (and many others).

It's worth noting that the ITC isn't part of the judicial branch of government -- it's kind of this quasi-legal entity which has the power to block sales and leverage fines against companies... that's about it.

As such, the ITC cannot award damages to Google, so they may indeed be aiming for Apple's throat, but actually have lower expectations than a full-out ban.

motorola got slap by apple and becase they did make voice recognicion on one of the erliest phones is most like it apple will lose it and they no that is war lost in that front

That's pretty egregious behavior on Google's part.

To ask for a complete ban of sales of a product is a pretty low blow.

Apple actually did this to HTC a few months back. That's the reason HTC is in a tight spot right now, the sales ban of the One X lasted almost a month. That's also the reason HTC had to slash the price of the One X to $99 (from $199), as due to the ban, launch momentum was lost.

Apple is now just getting a taste of it's own medicine. Which is not to say all of this is any less deplorable, but it is what it is.

I actually saw this coming from miles away. Google buying Motorola? The only OEM who has more patents than Motorola is Nokia. It was such a great move; a lot of people thought Google bought Motorola for their hardware division, but the constant lawsuits from Apple against Android made it very apparent they were actually after the patents to defend themselves. With the impending release of the iPhone 5, and Motorola's own unveiling of new RAZR devices next month, one can't help but applaud the timing. Not only that, but Nokia and Microsoft will be fully unveiling WP8 the same day as Motorola's announcement.

Heh, it's like a soap opera.

Thats the most stupidest thing I have heard seriously Google are taking things to far now. Why can't they just accept that Apple is a competitor to Google. Now Samsung and Motorola which are technically Google owned companies are trying to bring down Apple, and that is just stupid. Seriously Google try to take them over with business strategies and sales not cheap shots like trying to bring them down with stupid law suits. Improve your products to make your company and stop with the stupidity.

I guess you are an Apple fan boy and turns a blind eye to what has done so far. I actually like the Apple products better than the Android phones. However, Apple is getting a dose of its own medicine. This is the new world order, get with it.

Typical Apple user. Probably hasn't read anything past the headline, nor the MANY times Apple has blindly dragged competition to the courts. They of course don't expect to win, but they push launch dates, killing initial hype and sales. Now after all of this, happening multiple times to various android manufacturers. One finally stands up and gives Apple exactly the same treatment. Its not a honorable move. However if someone punches you and a some people in your families faces. You are allowed to be angry and its understandable if you swing back.

The smartphone/tablet patent dance has gone non-stop for about two years now, maybe even longer. And, of course, when you read Motorola on the title above that just means is "Google" vs. Apple.

Yep Apple getting smacked back! I love it. And no im not a Apple Hater. It just does my heart good to see "turn about is fair play". Apple will now get a dose of what they have been doing. So even if Apple does get the new Iphone stuck in customs waiting for a court release, its a small price for them to pay. Maybe we will see a kinder and gentler Apple. I highly doubt it.
However this move by Google MAY cause Apple to work out patent disputes without having to go to court.

Wow, amazing how easy it is to troll everyone.

Guests I understand, but the rest of you, come on...

I don't think anyone was trolled. The hint of sarcasm was evident. I think all, myself included, were simply expanding and making conversation. Except the Guests and the slower ones, that is.

I don't think anyone was trolled. The hint of sarcasm was evident. I think all, myself included, were simply expanding and making conversation. Except the Guests and the slower ones, that is.

You maybe LOL. I don't think I've ever been called a "Typical Apple user" before in my life.

Reap what you sow and all that...Karma can be a biatch, and not just on the Fields of Justice =)
This type of strategy is not exactly something new, and as history has shown, all it takes for it to collapse around you is to take on a company with more money/patents/lawyers/etc. than you...Hello Google, sorry for making your life difficult with spurious patent complaints, can we just go back to being friends now?

Strange how Apple runs around slapping people around with their invalid patents on rectangles with rounded corners, and icons, huh? Well, here is a company with real patents to show them what a real patent is- Apple started this crusade of suing everyone in sight... Now they are about to reap the real benefits of patent trolling. Don't cry foul now, Apple fans. Apple has been using Motorola patents for years, refusing to pay royalties, all the while suing people over rectangles and icons. I hope they get every product they make banned.

Thats the most stupidest thing I have heard seriously Google are taking things to far now. Why can't they just accept that Apple is a competitor to Google. Now Samsung and Motorola which are technically Google owned companies are trying to bring down Apple, and that is just stupid. Seriously Google try to take them over with business strategies and sales not cheap shots like trying to bring them down with stupid law suits. Improve your products to make your company and stop with the stupidity.

More like apple can't put up with the fact samsung are better than them! Who want's overpriced puny little phones when you can have a more innovative powerful device from a company who dont have to sue the hell out of others because they can't shift their rubbish. Not me... to be fair after all this lark going on with apple sueing samsung, Im never buying from apple again! Go on samsung, get your own back.

Applecan't put up with the fact samsung are better than them! Who want's overpriced puny little phones when you can have a more innovative powerful device from a company who dont have to sue the hell out of others because they can't shift their rubbish. Not me... to be fair after all this lark going on with apple sueing samsung, Im never buying from apple again! Go on samsung, get your own back.

Back