Motorola unveils 10.1-inch Xoom tablet with Android 3.0, Tegra 2

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Motorola has officially entered the tablet market, unveiling its 10.1-inch Xoom slate today. As teased in a video last month, the slate runs Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb, which is specifically optimized for tablets -- and only tablets, apparently. The device measures 249.1 x 167.8 x 12.9mm, weighs 730g, and is powered by a dual-core 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 SoC.

It also sports a 1280x800 display resolution, 32GB of onboard storage (expandable via SD), 1GB of DDR2 RAM, and given the increasing popularity of video calling, Motorola has included a 2-megapixel camera on the front while the rear is outfitted with a 5-megapixel camera with dual LED flash. I/O includes a micro USB 2.0 port, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, as well as Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. Battery life is said to peak at about 10 hours of video playback.

Motorola plans to sell the Xoom in the first quarter of this year and although it supports both 3G and 4G, you won't be able to use Verizon's LTE network until the second quarter (and we assume you'll have to pay a premium for it). We haven't caught any pricing details unfortunately, so if you spot that information feel free to share it in the comments.

Permalink to story.

I'm hoping this won't be limited to sale only at wireless carriers. But either way sounds like a decent bit of kit. Anyone know what type of LCD panel it uses? I'm hoping for a good viewing angle...

No sign of a price or if there will be a wifi only version. I would hate to have to carry 2 data plans for a tablet and phone.

Sad to hear Moto didn't make a Verizon LTE model yet....but sounds like fun on a plater!

Guest said:
No sign of a price or if there will be a wifi only version. I would hate to have to carry 2 data plans for a tablet and phone.

I was just gunna get a data version no contract and swap between tethering to my phone and using my phone sim in the tablet.

looking to do away with my laptop, got an htc aria earlier this year and my next new smart phone will replace my laptop, 6-8" tablet phone, must have 8 megapixel camera or better and all kinds of useful bells and whistles : }

Back