Motorola Xoom gets Ice Cream Sandwich update, WiFi only for now

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Motorola has started rolling out Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to Xoom tablet owners this week as part of a staggered release. The update is initially only being served up to WiFi devices; those with cellular-enabled tablets remain on the waiting list.

WiFi users should see an update notification on their device the next time they log into a wireless network. If there’s no auto-update notification, owners can check on the status manually by going into Settings -> About tablet -> System updates on the device.

Motorola promises that users who upgrade to ICS can expect an updated browser with faster rendering, zoom and pan, swipe to dismiss notifications, tasks and browser tabs, a redesigned app launcher and a new system font for improved readability. In addition to the new font, widgets are now richer and resizable, allowing you to show more content or shrink them to save space.

An updated “People” app replaces contacts and integrates with Google+ and other social networks, tying all of your contacts into one central location. Tablet users will now also have the ability to "type with their voice" to create emails, SMS or any other text simply by speaking into the microphone.

Motorola began accepting orders for free 4G LTE radio upgrades for 3G tablet owners last September after promising the upgrade shortly after launching the Xoom on February 24. As of writing, Motorola hasn’t announced when ICS will be available for cellular models aside from mentioning that the update will roll out in phases over the course of a few weeks.

Permalink to story.

I told one of my users about the update for her Xoom. She was quite upset with honeycomb, but she liked the features of android (smart user) so she went with the Xoom instead of an iPad. It sounds like she is finally loving her Xoom now that it has ICS. The only thing she kind of complained about was the changes made to the "contacts". I'm guessing she just needs to get used to the new interface.

Yeah, ICS is a pretty damn big jump from HC. Looks over on XDA for the latest info.

By the way, this is currently only for US-ROM Xooms. No other ROM has received the OTA update.

Why no 4g xooms? B.S! Paid more for device and data plan. Why do we have to wait? Should be the other way around. Mototola sucks!

Why no 4g xooms? B.S! Paid more for device and data plan. Why do we have to wait? Should be the other way around. Mototola sucks!

The US wifi ROM is a Google Experience Device. Google pretty much handles the OTA rollouts.

All other wifi ROMS, Motorola has some slight tweaks before they roll it out.

All other ROMS that support GSM+ antenna, Motorola gives the ROM to the telco, and it's up to them when and how they roll it out.

That being said, there's custom ICS ROMS supporting 3G/4G out right now. Check XDA.

I know 6 people with Xoom's and all of us have not gotten our ICS updates. I am growing impatient. I want ICS!

Back