Motorola Xoom launching on February 24 for $800

Emil

Staff

A Best Buy leak points to the Motorola Xoom launching on February 24, 2011 for $800, only slightly contradicting previous rumors. Data will start at $20 per month for 1GB and max out at 10GB for $80, according to the leaked flier obtained by Engadget.

In related news, Motorola today aired its Super Bowl commercial for the Xoom (embedded below). The one-minute spot shows a man with the device trying to court a beautiful woman trapped in a 1984 world ruled by Apple; it's a direct attack on the company's 1984 Macintosh Commercial. He uses the Xoom to buy flowers and show a quick video to woo his love, who is liberated from her Apple-1984 world by removing her white earbuds. The ad finishes by calling the Xoom "the tablet to create a better world" and "the world's first Android 3.0 tablet."

Last month, the Motorola Xoom won the Best in Show Award at CES 2011. For Q1 2011, Motorola has reportedly placed orders for about 700,000 to 800,000 units of the device with four color options.

The Motorola Xoom will ship with Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb) running on Nvidia's Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 32GB of onboard storage (expandable via SD), a 2-megapixel camera on the front, a 5-megapixel camera with dual LED flash on the back, a micro USB 2.0 port, HDMI out, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, as well as Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. The 10.1-inch tablet has a 1280x800 display resolution. Battery life is said to peak at about 10 hours of video playback. The device will launch in Q1 2011 with 3G functionality, later upgradeable to LTE 4G, and will launch with a LTE 4G model in Q2.

Permalink to story.

Props to Motorola for sticking it to Apple. Seems as if Motorola have a sense of humour though i imagine the Apple fanboys wont find it as funny as i did, but hey they will probably wondering where they can buy their very own white iHoodie.

Wow... $800 smackers...

Oh well, my brother's company is getting some and hopefully I can cop one for a good discount.

Everything seems great, but I think people are going to have a hard time shelling out $800 for the Xoom- I personally was hoping it was going to be $650- for $800 I don't plan on buying. The iPad is going to have a leg up on price- and the iPad 2 (or whatever it will be called) will be the same price, or cheaper- Apple fanboys are going to have no reason to buy a Xoom.

Problem is even I, the anti apple advocate, will buy an ipad 2 over the zoom. $800? I can upgrade my CPU mobo ram and GPU for $800. No thanks moto, try again.

Ridiculous price. People are better off waiting for the Asus Transformer which has similar specs and a suspected price of 400.

I just can't understand what goes through these companies' minds. To successfully make an impact on the market, and beat the iPad, they have to make it cheaper (and consequently more attractive) than the iPad itself; sounds logical enough. But $800? Plus an $80 data plan? (Admit it, you're never going to use only 1GB.) Sometimes I wish I could slap whoever thought of this and ask them "Are you ****ing serious?".

Hopefully there will be retail outlets other than BestBuy that will offer a more attractive price. Really can't see this going much of anywhere at $800, you can build a fairly capable desktop from scratch for that kind of money.

Lawfer said:
I just can't understand what goes through these companies' minds. To successfully make an impact on the market, and beat the iPad, they have to make it cheaper (and consequently more attractive) than the iPad itself; sounds logical enough. But $800? Plus an $80 data plan? (Admit it, you're never going to use only 1GB.) Sometimes I wish I could slap whoever thought of this and ask them "Are you ****ing serious?".

They're probably thinking that since people pay too much for Apple's hardware, if they price the Xoom even higher, then it will really be attractive to consumers. Not realizing that Apple has pretty much taken all those people under their fold, they are left with people who actually want a value for their dollar.

i bet money this is coming with BLUR,

**#&^# BLUR

EVerytime i touch a device that has blur on it i rage so bad.

"The Tablet to create a better World" ???What? How does a tablet make the world better, the world was fine before tablets came out, how does this thing contribute to making the world a better place for anyone? Besides those making it and selling it at $800

1. Apple creates the first table.
2. Every one else tries to copy it.
3. Motorola Launches the Xoom.
4. ???
5. The worlds a better place.

Any one else have trouble understanding the logic behind this?

Princeton said:
Problem is even I, the anti apple advocate, will buy an ipad 2 over the zoom. $800? I can upgrade my CPU mobo ram and GPU for $800. No thanks moto, try again.

Agreed.

$800... that's ~$870 after tax.

That's asking quite a lot there Motorola.

Expect price drops soon after lack of sales lol

yea..way to much ! They would sell a million if they were 499. Whoever is setting these prices needs to be fired. Even if they take less profit it will be worth it in the long run.

While the ad is pretty neat & the hardware looks good, the price is quite disappointing to say the least. Especially reading that "To activate WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required." which I find kind of insulting.

Could buy a decent laptop, a chick-O-stick and still have enough for good solid day of drinking for 800 dollars. Bad call moto.

Relic said:
While the ad is pretty neat & the hardware looks good, the price is quite disappointing to say the least. Especially reading that "To activate WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of 1 month data subscription is required." which I find kind of insulting.

HOLD IT! I must have missed that point. What kind of logic is that? An even better question is what's the point? The people at XDA devs will remove that restriction withing 48 hours.

I was really excited about the Xoom until I saw the price. My guess is Verizon has some strangle hold on the Xoom and will offer it for $600 with a 2year data contract. Which I won't buy anyway. I swear these people don't pay attn for ****. The Ipad 3g didn't sell for **** but the Wifi only sold like mad so why the **** would you think people want another data plan. Oh well the Galaxy tab dropped it's price majorly after release and I bet the same will be said for the Xoom. When it is at $500 I will pick one up.

Back