Motorola Xoom wins CES 2011 Best in Show award

By Emil
Jan 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. CES 2011 was unsurprisingly full of various tablets, but one of them stood out in particular: the Motorola Xoom. The device won the Best in Show Award at CES 2011.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

The device will launch in Q1 2011 with 3G functionality, later upgradeable to LTE 4G

I don't get this. Will it ship with LTE functionality awaiting verizons new NOT 4G network?
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Yes... wait, what?
  4. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Like, if they're supposedly releasing an LTE model in Q2 but the Q1 is upgradable. Aren't they essentially the same product? Just the Q1 model wont connect to the non existent network until...well..until it exists.
  5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Oh, I see what you're saying... Hmm, I think there's some sort of fallacy here. Here's the quote:

"The device will launch in Q1 2011 with 3G functionality, later upgradeable to LTE 4G, and will launch with a LTE 4G model in Q2."

So, if the Q1 device is "upgradeable" to what the Q2 device is designed to be, what is the purpose of waiting for the Q2 device? Or more importantly, why release the upgradeable and the already-upgraded device in two different time periods, if they are--like you said--essentially the same? (That is, assuming that no special hardware is required from the Q1 the device to achieve LTE speeds.)

Or did the author meant upgradeable, as in, upgrade eligibility to the Q2 device, which is in fact essentially different? (That is, if the device is indeed required to have a special hardware that presumably won't come in the Q1 device, but will in the Q2 device, which Verizon will make easy to upgrade to.)

I don't know much about the requirements of 4G LTE. So to find an answer to this, we must ask this question: To achieve LTE speeds, is the device required to have an special hardware/software (such as a chipset or firmware), or are these devices already future-proof, and only need an special hardware from the network (such as a modem)?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.