TechSpot

Mouse and keyboard problems

By SBDave
Aug 28, 2005
  1. Hi,

I built my new PC a couple of weeks ago, and was working fine, had a few slight issues with my wireless mouse and keyboard, not being very responsive. Then I went away for a couple of weeks, and have come back to find a rather crippling problem.

I have a problem with both the keyboard and mouse, so as they will only move for a fraction of a second before sezing up and not working, and then maybe move slightly more a bit later. Its so bad that I cant actually login to windows, I cant type in my password or anyhting.
    Initially I assumed it was the wireless keyboard after my earlier problems, but then I put in my old (PS2) keyboard and mouse and exactly the same thing happened.
    One time I managed to hit del on boot and get into bios, but could find no clues. However, the keyboard was working fine, I got logged in, then it all went wrong when I moved the mouse. This edges me toward thinking it is the mouse issue, which 'sets off' the keyboard.

I tried taking out the mouse, and it worked fine with just the keyboard, so I then plugged in the mouse, and that worked too. the little new hardware found bubble coming up in the bottom corner. I rebooted to try and see if it would still work, and it did. So I came back with the same setup this morning, and the same problem happened again. I then tried it with just the keyboard, and no luck this time. Very frustrating.

I really dont know what to do, it isnt a hardware issue as it occurs on both sort of ports, maybe its a mobo issue, I hope not, I would have to rebuild the whole lot! Anyway, any help would be nice, my new PC is crippled!

2. Trax_1

Trax_1 TS Rookie

That's a difficult problem

Is your keyboard wireless as well as the mouse. If so I would almost wonder if the signals are messing each other up. So try PS2 on keyboard and mouse. with wired mouse and keyboard. If that works try it for a while with just a wireless mouse. If that works try it for a while with just the wireless keyboard. If that works you could pretty much be sure that it is a problem with the signals screwing with each other. Other then that I would just go through the internals on the computer and make sure that every one of you connections are good and tight. I don't know that I was much help but I tried. Good luck.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.