TechSpot

Mouse and Memory Problems in Windows ME

By Maethalion
Jun 4, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I've got a strange hardware configuration, and I'm looking for assistance. I'm using a Single-Board Computer with a couple of VGA PCI cards and a D/A PCI card. It's running on a 850Mhz Intel Celeron.

So here's what happens:
    The PC boots, up until the memory check. The memory check cycles from 1kB to 262kB and then flips back to 1kB. I can Press 'Esc' to skip the memory check and then the booting process continues.

Then, Windows ME boots OK but the mouse never moves. It's not detected under System/ Device Manager. I'm using a Serial Mouse that connects via ribbon cable to the Motherboard (its inside a medical device).

I can't reformat the computer or install a different version of Windows. I'm assuming something is wrong with the BIOS settings or Windows' Plug-and-Play settings. Unfortunately, those topics are out of my league.

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers,

-Stephen Furlani
  2. Maethalion

Maethalion TS Rookie Topic Starter

Alright,

After very carefully messing with the BIOS settings, I've found that COM2 wasn't Enabled. So I set both COM1 and COM2 to "Auto" and then on reboot, Windows ME found the RS232 COM2 and the Mouse works only on COM2 now.

So, I guess a better question is this: What would cause a COM port failure? If I send this machine back out, what are the chances it would happen again?

Also, WinME says that there is 256MB of RAM. How do I get the memcheck at the startup to recognize it?

-Stephen
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

your cmos battery is dying. I still can't believe people are using computers with windows ME on it still...
  4. Maethalion

Maethalion TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's part of a medical device, so you have limited opportunity to change the system itself.

Honestly I would have preferred CE or NT, but as I wasn't part of the company back then, meh.

Thanks for the tip.

-S
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.