TechSpot

Mouse doesnt move left/right but moves up/down

By Rizz
Jan 28, 2008
  1. As stated in the title. Mouse buttons work etc but doesnt move left/right. I have taken out the ball and cleaned it etc. Does anyone have any help, this is driving me up the wall. Thanks in advance.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Best to replace it. Very little cost.

3. Rizz

Rizz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

^Hmm..is that the only way?? I was thinking of buying a new mouse as a last resort. So there's no way that i can fix my current mouse??

Thanks for help.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Well, you have done the obvious things, to fix it, which are to clean it.
    It could be a bent pin if it is a PS/2 mouse, or it could be dirt in the USB plug or socket if a USB mouse.
    If it is a USB mouse, they fail much more frequently than the PS/2 mouse.
    You can get a mouse for $10, or get a used one for $1.00

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

Likely you'll just have to buy a new mouse.

I find it difficult to believe that "USB mice fail much more frequently than PS/2".

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Based on what criteria?

Manufacturer's don't say, "Oh hey, is this a USB mouse? Make sure you use lower quality material than what we use in our PS/2 mice!". That's silly. And if it is unique to USB mice, it would have to be related to the interface. Is the USB interface more prone to failure than the PS/2 interface? Well, after servicing thousand of computers over several years, I rarely see a bad mouse AT ALL, let alone a disproportionate amount of dead USB mice.

All in all, I think PS/2 vs USB is a moot point, in regards to reliability.

7. dgower2

dgower2 TS Maniac Posts: 340

Check another mouse (borrow one) before you buy a new one. Although highly unlikely, it is possible that it's not the mouse.

I had mouse software that let you hold down a hot-key and the mouse was restricted to one axis - useful for drawing w/ your mouse, I guess. What if this feature was stuck? I know, highly unlikely, but worth checking with a different mouse none-the-less.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.