Mouse locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all...

I have a new Dell XPS 410 desktop that I bought around Christmas 2006. It works great except that the mouse periodically locks up for no apparent reason. When this occurs, the mouse LED shuts down and the mouse is completely dark. (The mouse is a USB, wire-connected Dell OCJ339 that came with the computer.) I cannot get the mouse to come back on without rebooting the computer; then the mouse comes on immediately with no problem and works fine... until the next time.

The last time it happened (today), the computer was on but the display had gone into sleep mode because there was no activity. The browser was open (I use FireFox 2.0.0.2). When I moved the mouse to reactivate the screen, which usually will cause the screen to "wake up", nothing happened. Pressing the Shift key activated the screen, and the mouse LED was off. The only other point of interest is that after I rebooted and tried to restart FireFox, I received an error message that it had not been closed properly the last time it was used. I don't recall ever having received this message in the past related to the mouse lock up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks for your help...

Charlie

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Could be a faulty mouse? Try using another mouse and see if you still have the same problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Howard,

Thanks for the suggestion, and I will try that. The thing that leads me to believe that it may not be the mouse is that rebooting the computer resolves the problem. Maybe I can get Dell to replace the mouse under warranty... I'll try that first.

Thanks!

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back