TechSpot

Mouse problem = looking for new mouse

By Stealth3si
Sep 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Ever since I migrated from WinXP to Win7 my mouse (800 dpi) has been noticeably slower because I use to be able to amp up the speed and/or acceleration via the Logitech Mouseware software, which isn't compatible with Win7. There is no software update that is compatible with Win7 either. Now I tried messing with the mouse settings on Win 7 but configuring the speed to maximum is no where close to the speed (and sensitivity) as it was before when I was on WinXP. The mouse is only used for desktop applications, internet browsing, etc. It will not be used for gaming.

Now I want to upgrade to a better mouse to get faster (and smoother) and more accurate mouse movement, I think I need a mouse that has higher dpi than 800, no?

If so, what mouse should I buy that would be considered "bang for the buck?"

My budget is $15 to $50 USD, relative prices that I have briefly found on Amazon and eBay.

I have also looked into gaming mouses (Razer, Logitech MX, GX, Avatar, MS, etc) but I don't know if these are overkill for my needs or if there are economical options out there that would better suit my situation.

I would like there to be:

1. an middle button/scroll that is easy to click and has hyper-scroll mode
    2. 3 extra programmable/hot buttons that I can use for keyboard commands. (I don't need anymore buttons)
    3. Wired
    4. Laser or optical
    5. a higher DPI than 800? I don't know how much greater in DPI is required to meet my needs.
    5. Noticeably better precision, accuracy and speed than my current mouse

2. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

I'm the same when it comes to mice; I like mine wired mostly. As it happens i'm on the hunt for a new mouse myself at the moment. My front runner's the Trust GXT 32 gaming mouse, even though i'm not a big gamer.

Wired, 9 buttons, looks great, 2400 dpi, laser...and only £15 ($10)...For the money alone it's worth a try.

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,553   +234

I'm a bit of a logitech fan boy (Have 2 x Logitech Revolution MX mice, 1 x Logitech Performance MX and over the years I've had 3 or 4 other generation wireless mice from Logitech). Although the wired gaming mice are usually well respected for their performance and worth considering:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/gaming-mouse-g300 - $39.99

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5750 - $58.99

Those are direct logitech prices. You'll probably find deals with lower prices elsewhere. If I was after a gaming corded mouse right now I'd be tempted to try the G300, even though I really like the curved shape of the Performance/Revolution MX wireless mice. So I'd have to try the ambidextrous G300 before buying...

4. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,018   +51

Which gaming mouse?

Not an area which I know much about, but a pc mag I buy often, did a test of various mice last year. Types highly rated were, Roccat Kone+, Logitech G500, Mionex Naos 3200.
    I look at the mice in my local supermarkets, who have the buying power most small pc dealers could not have, and they seem to be about x3 the price I would think was fair!
    I use and prefer an oldish MS Wireless optical 2.0. ( my avatar.)

Another well known UK magazine rates the MS 500 bluetrack wireless.