Mouse Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetCablesPlus

Hi, I have an Acer laptop running Vista. I am using an external, USB mouse with it. It worked fine for months (bougtht the laptop earlier this year), but the past couple of weeks, the left button on the mouse has been 'bouncing' with extra clicks which can cause all kinds of aggravating problems when you are clicking your way through things.

I went into Contorl Panel and changed the double click speed (tried a bunch of different speeds) with no results. I do not see any other things that I can adjust in this regard. Any tips for fixing this or should I just assume that it is a hardware problem and replace the mouse?

I would see if you can borrow a friends USB mouse and give it a try. You can use a normal desktop USB mouse as well for testing it doesn't have to be one of the smaller latop models of mice.

Definitely planning to do that before I buy a new one. I was just wondering if there are any other OS (or other software) settings that I should try first?

Like Advanced said, it seems to be a hardware issue. Many people have an unused mouse just sitting around, so the first step would definitely be to replace it and see if you get the same problem. You can also try using the faulty mouse on a known working computer.

As far as software goes, the only thing strange here is the fact that the problem persisted even when you adjusted the doubleclick speed. That's something to consider if a new mouse doesn't fix the problem.

I noticed one other thing, just now. When I am changing the speed settings for the doubleclick function, the selected mouse is the touchpad, not the external mouse. I do not seem to have the option to change this doubleclick speed setting for the external mouse, unless the speed setting affects all mouse devices? Sorry to be hung up on the settings side of things, but I do not have another test mouse handy..

If you are getting left-click or right-click double strikes the micro-switch is fried for that clicker.

They do fail - should, however, take a couple years.

If under warranty, return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back