TechSpot

Mouse randomly dies for a couple of seconds

By cschrille
Jun 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As the title says, my mouse stops working for a couple of seconds and then starts working perfectly again. It mainly happens when I am playing BF3, the game freezes for a second, then I hear the usb-removal sound Windows makes and the game unfreezes but the mouse is dead, then game freezes again for a second and mouse starts working. During the moment mouse is dead all other USB connected things works, only mouse that dies.
    It has happened a few times before when im not in any game.

Why is this happening? I have never had any problem with this before.
    I have tried putting my mouse a different USB port and it helped for a day or two and then it happened again.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    i5 2500k
    GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
    8GB RAM

2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

I have had this same problem a few months ago. Although it happened with my mouse and keyboard simultaneously. My main harddrive was going bad. I replaced it and have not had the problem since. It was rather confusing at first as I had never seen these symptoms before from a bad harddrive.

3. cschrille

cschrille TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 181

Just noticed that it occurs when the top of the mouse cord (closest to mouse itself) hits my keyboard. The top of the mouse cord is a bit broken so the wires and stuff is visible, I guess when something hits those wires it gets disconnected, guess I have to buy a new mouse, thanks any though!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.