Mouse Round-up: 12 Options, Every Budget Covered

Great review, just happen to need a game mouse now. However,

Side buttons just out of reach for my regular sized hand

Do you think it would fit an extra medium sized hand? :p:wave:

if worried about fit just get the most adjustable mouse ever conceived:

http://cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

Great Round Up! I so happened to be looking for a new mouse recently as mine is slowly giving up the ghost.

What would you recommend for long playing times on TF2?

Do you have any plans on doing a similar Roundup with Gaming Keyboards?

is it just me or isn't the Logi MX518 still one of the greatest contenders?

seems that in efforts to out do eachother, the mouse manufacturers have gone crazy adding more and more jazz (weight systems, on-the-fly sense adjust, flashy looking LEDs and millions of extra buttons) to their devices whilst not really bringing anything clever or innovative.

I've played CS 1.6 at a high level with some of the best european clans and have also ranked very highly in several wow arena seasons (all brackets).

I'm a firm believer that simplicity and comfort are the biggest selling points for a gaming mouse. Find one that fits comfortably in your hand and don't second guess yourself...

I agree that the Performance MX has an alien feel due to the increased slope and size in comparison to the older MX Revolution, but I actually welcome it. I often found I'd hold the Revolution mouse with a "claw" like grip. Holding the side a little with thumb and pinky fingers and the palm of my hand mostly hovering above the mouse.

I wish they'd still supplied a cradle with the Performance MX as I liked to cradle the Revolution Mouse and Dinovo keyboard to make space on my desk for other tasks.

There seem to be a lot of mice that are adopting the sculpted shape of the Logitech offerings.

@Julio - i had a g5 too, with all the weights left in the box it has a very similar feel to the mx518. I used it until one day my cat chewed through the cable, apparently the fabric cover had flavour...

as you said, the mx518 is cheap - i guess that's my point. $130 mice don't make pro gamers any more than copy and pasting the game config and settings from top players does.

I'll check out the G500 if i need to replace my mouse any time soon.

I've made up my mind (and already ordered) the Roccat Kova Mouse!

Thanks Techspot!

It was perfect for what I want, I'm a lefty so it fits my hand, it has high enough DPI for me and doesn't require any special drivers, plus has a cool light system and more buttons than my current mouse.

All for £31.98 Link Below:-

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Peripherals/MiceandTrackballs/ROC-11-200.html

And while i'm here might as well get my very first gaming mat! never had one before so I hope it better than some freebee thing my dad gave me which he got free from a photography show!

Again got the matching mat for £16.48 Link Below:-

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Peripherals/MouseMats/Roccat/ROC-13-110.html

I was using a Logitech MX510 for many years, but just recently upgraded to a Razer Deathadder 3.5G. I love the mouse so far.

Excellent roundup! It's been forever since I've seen a mouse comparison so this is a real treat.

I have the Logitech G500 and think it's one of the best if not the best gaming rats I've had. However, there is one caveat, and that's the buttons are super-sensitive. I don't think I have a "heavy hand" per se, because I've never experienced this before on any other mouse. But every once in a while, I'll inadvertently click the right mouse-button with just my hand casually placed on the mouse. Other than that - I give it an A+.

A word of warning to anyone looking at the Razer Mamba mouse: do not update the firmware to the latest available on the manufacturer's site. They have incorporated an annoying sensor tracking algorithm that dynamically adjusts the sensitivity down to low-sens when the mouse is moving slowly or not at all. This was done to negate issues with soft cloth mouse pads where the sensor would act erratically due to the bumps in the fibers etc. If you choose this mouse, which is indeed a great mouse, be sure to pair it with a hard mouse pad (I personally use the SteelSeries SX). If cloth pads are your thing this isn't the mouse for you at least if you value a competitive edge. The dynamic sensitivity is very awkward and will definitely hamper your aiming ability. Sure your mind will eventually adjust but any thoughts of swapping mice are out the window (i.e. using a normal mouse while this mouse charges or hoping on a different pc) as you will have to re-learn each time. Hopefully Razer will eventually wake up and offer two different iterations of the latest firmware so users may choose their preference.

When I had to buy a new mouse late last year I was deciding between the G500 and the Mamba.

I avoided the G500 for one of the reasons in this review, I had a G5 at one point and absolutely hated how the mouse wheel would tilt when I pressed it. The G500 appeared to have a similar wheel design so I passed.

The Mamba, when I first used it, had an absolutely amazing grip and possibly one of the best wheels since the original Boomslang (which has the best wheel I've ever used on a mouse, though the mouse was fairly lacking for comfort).

To make a long story short, I ended up returning the Mamba about a month ago. Ultimately it was due to reasons of build quality. The 3 major strikes against it were:

1: The wheel started squeaking. Apparently this is a common issue with the mouse. There is some friction present in the internal mechanism, that causes the plastic-on-plastic to start squeaking. There are corrections you can make by taking the mouse apart (which can be done without breaking any seals), but I never bothered.

2: The rubber side-grips started peeling off. As much as people compare this mouse to the Deathadder, it really does not feel like it at all. The side-grips are a huge improvement over the Deathadder, both for the indentions and the textured grip. Again, I am sure I could have super-glued the grips back down but I didn't bother.

3: The battery plain sucks. I primarily used the mouse wired, but would run on battery when Playing World of Warcraft because I didn't really care about the latent feel for that game. Having hardly used the battery, I was surprised when I started getting maybe 2 hours of usage outa the thing after only a couple of months.

Thankfully I had bought a return plan with the Mamba at the place where I purchased it, something I rarely do. I have since swapped it out for the G500 and I could not be happier.

I am still not a fan of tilt-wheels but the way it's implemented on the G500 is much closer to the wheel on the G9. Since it's got a flat feel to it I hardly ever inadvertently tilt it.

I was suspicious at the tiny cluster of side buttons but honestly they have such a great tactile feel. I much prefer them to the side buttons on the mamba (which I also had no complaints about), and especially the garbage that passes as side-buttons on the G9(x).

So in the end, I swapped out the over-priced and poorly built Mamba for the much better G500. It was literally half of the cost, and I can see myself using it until it falls apart. Which, if my MX518 is any indication, may be a good decade from now.

In the "more is better" department of thinking, I was seriously checking out the Razer Naga recently... The thumb-accessible keys (and the fact that they finally released a proper driver that allowed full configuration of the buttons) had me contemplating all sorts of interesting uses, from CAD to gaming.

Luckily, a local Best Buy had one sitting on their demo shelf, so I could actually test the fit. Great concept, but only if you have tiny hands. If you are a typical guy, or a woman with "man hands" (as Seinfeld would say), then some of the Naga's thumb buttons are uncomfortable and awkward to hit. If they had just scaled it up about 10% bigger, it would have definitely been my next purchase.

Instead, I am waiting to check out the Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. series... The fact that I have a Saitek Cyborg keyboard and a Saitek Cyborg Command Unit and it would match perfectly may have a tiny bit to do with the decision to wait... heh

Alright you experienced game mousers, or is it miecers? whats the best $50-70 (wireless) gaming mouse for someone with large hands?

I'd go with the Logitech G500 red1776. As I mentioned, I've been using it for about six months and it's a fistful. Arguably the largest mouse I've used. Has a slew of options (including weights) and you can pick one up for $56 at NewEgg (plus check out the user reviews which are dominantly good). It's not a wireless, but I switched from wireless when I went to this and have had no problems with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Mouse-_-Logitech-_-26104318

Thanks Tom, I would trade wireless for weight adjustment options, and its good for someones with the big paws ey?

To the above poster about the mamba having troubles.

I have had my mamba for over 6 months now and have never had any trouble with the wheel squeaking or the grip falling off. Also the battery is fantastic and can play all day given that you leave on charge at night time. 2 hours is not right and if it is than i'd say you haven't charged it long enough before use.

@ Guest who returned the Mamba for a G500

How similar was the middle click on the G9 and G500? Like you, I too feel side clicking is a horrible feature and has resulted in nothing but taking a primary button (middle click) and making it un-usable, or at least unreliable to the point where you map it's functions elsewhere.

The G9 was the first side click enable mouse I used where I could actually stomach the middle clicking behavior. It still doesn't feel as good as the MX518, but it's better than the MX revolution and performance MX (which are so bad I returned them). Are you saying that the G500 has a similar feel to the G9?

If so that is very good news because the G700 is said to have the same scroll wheel as the G500.

That's a nasty little mouse you've pointed out Ikaruga - I'd love to have one. I recently picked up a CM Storm Inferno and a Rude Fierce for a couple of other machines and I've gotta say that I'm pleasantly surprised. They fall closer to the budget side, but the Inferno, particularly, has impressed me.

I don't use the Fierce for gaming (it's on one of my linux machines), but it's excellent for daily use. I like bigger/heavier mice and this reminds me of the original MS Intellimouse Explorer, but with a little more weight.

You can have my Logitech Performance MX Mouse & my Wireless Logitech Trackball M570 - when you can pry them from my cold dead hands. My hands are a little longer & I NEED a mouse that fits my hands (ambidextrous) and Logitech wins. These tiny mice available just give me hand-cramps. The software that configures most Logitech mice (mouses) is very thorough & very easy to adjust & up until our last move - I had my very first mouse from Logitech circa 1982 - I miss that mouse - just perfect simplicity. ;)

Back