Mouse stuttering/freezing issue Windows 10

yRaz

I have been dealing with this for over a week now on a fresh build and I'm about to start ripping my hair out

So the specs of the system are
AMD 1700X
Asrock AB350 Gaming K4
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400
2X240GB sandisk SSD's
1TB WD black

and that's basically all that matters. Now, there is an over all system sluggishness in windows 10, not in linux mint. The problem that makes windows 10 unusable for me is the mouse constantly freezes or stutters. I've tried everything I could find online. Using different drivers, testing different mice and only one thing helped but only for a moment. I installed my Motherboards sound drivers instead of the ones that Windows 10 installed when I built the system and ran the updates.

So that worked well for a few days but then I booted up Skyrim because, Why the F*ck not, right? Immediately I noticed that the stuttering was back. I figured it was just the game so I quickly exited it and went to try to play something else. Well, my mouse problem is BACK! It is back in every program I use, every game I try to play and this PC is completely unusable with windows 10. Now, I haven't had issues with a sound card or drivers since windows 98 so this really blew me away.

I would just put Linux Mint on the thing and be done with it but this isn't my computer, I built it for someone else.

Mouse jitters. Hate them. No good answers. Have to load shotgun and have at it until it stops...

1] its a USB problem.. device manager..go to USB and USB controller....use VIEW tab to display 'hidden'...remove them all with the one connected to mouse last & restart system

2] it is a sound driver problem...same idea...wipe them out then restart

3] graphics card drivers...ditto

4] disable 'fast start' in power options

5] replace battery if wireless mouse

Hope you catch the bugger.

@cycloid most of your ideas are wrong.
#3 you had the right guess here, he might have onboard cpu-gpu driver problem.
He may not have his mobo chipset drivers from asrock.
Verify with him again to make sure he has all that installed correctly.

@cycloid most of your ideas are wrong.
#3 you had the right guess here, he might have onboard cpu-gpu driver problem.
He may not have his mobo chipset drivers from asrock.
Verify with him again to make sure he has all that installed correctly.
The problem stopped for a while after I installed the drivers fROM asrockswebsite. However, the problem reappeared after launching Skyrim. Attaching a mouse with a USB cable significantly reduces the issue but doesn't stop it entirely. I just don't understand what's going on here. I've seen some weird issues but fixing the issue by installing drivers then having it reappear after a day or so by playing a game is rediculous. I know I have the CPU power to not have mouse stuttering. I might just reinstall Windows and see if something went wrong during the installation. I'm thinking about installing the ASRock drivers before installing Windows updates.

I effing hating windows 10.... This problem is nonexistent in Linux. All my mice work perfectly on other machines too.

@MaikuTech I may be wrong to offer this shotgun approach. I'm shepherding only 6 systems these days and things change. However, it has been my experience that Windows with its automated updates gets it wrong sometimes. The OS is a large structure with millions of lines - and minor registry/driver issues can be very annoying. Over the last few years in Windows 10, I have personally resolved similar problems with each 'solution' that I offered.

I wish it were 'explicable', but it doesn't seem so. If anything, I should have promoted #4 to an earlier spot as I just had it happen most recently. There is definitely something screwy about 'fast start'. My advice is still, if you can't fix it, leave it.

Last edited:
Reinstalling windows and installing motherboard drivers before updating seems to have resolved the issue. I will try to recreate the issue and post my findings

So far, I cannot recreate the issue. I have the PC until Tuesday so if anything creeps up related to mouse stuttering I will post it.

I'm actually more fascinated by the issue at this point than I am frustrated by it. It really comes down to what in the world was happening in the code that made installing OEM drivers fix it but then running a video game break it again. It makes sense that installing OEM drivers before MS installs theirs circumvents the problem and prevents it from happening, but I would really love to see the 5-10 maybe more lines of code that caused this problem. Why did running Skyrim revert my computer back to windows drivers? Did running skyrim really revert back to the windows drivers? Why did windows drivers take priority over OEM drivers? What the front door did the sound drivers have to do with mouse stuttering issues? I can also confirm that the sound was the issue because when I disabled sound output entirely I had no mouse stuttering issues. Atleast, I would like to say that it confirms the issue, you guys are more than welcome to correct me if you know why I might be wrong on that issue. Seriously, I welcome knowing why Im wrong so I can fix the issue when I encounter it in the future(hopefully I don't!!!!)

Like, yeah, the problem seems to be fixed but I want to know WHY the problem is fixed

"WHY the problem is fixed" - we fooled Microsoft Windows into doing it right.

Hearsay, guesses and many hours puzzling this and similar. Windows will update a driver if it thinks it has one more recent. Pointers in registry can get moved around by updates. Older software asks to use an earlier driver (side-by-side issues). Two or more drivers exist for a single device (audio - nVidia & Realtech) or the order of those drivers is incorrect for best function. "Fast start" relies on finding something somewhere which is moved or modified.

Boils down to 'dimmed if I know' but I sure would like it fixed.

"WHY the problem is fixed" - we fooled Microsoft Windows into doing it right.

Good Grief. -_-

@yRaz has this motherboard ever given you this much grief over installing drivers and what not ?
I suggest on monday morning of next week you give asrock tier 2 tech support a call.
List down the issues to them and see what happens.
https://www.asrock.com/general/about.us.asp?cat=Contact
I know its a new build and all, but new mobo's shouldn't cause this much of a problem.
I wouldn't say your problems are over with just yet...
You don't want some other customer getting it and it goes bonkers again.

Asrock might have a solution, but I decided that it was unlikely to be hardware because the OP reports that the problem disappears when Linux Mint is the OS.

More 'helpful' ideas - this linked article lists 14 'solutions'. While the 'Repair Tool' offered is unlikely to be any good use since you have reinstalled and updated, a couple of ideas might make a difference if the stutter reappears: https://windowsreport.com/mouse-lag-windows-10/

Specifically:
Solution 14 – Change Power management options
Solution 11 – Connect your mouse receiver to USB 2.0 port
Solution 7 – Disable Fast Startup
Solution 4 – Turn off Cortana
Solution 1 – Enable / Disable Scroll Inactive Windows

More fun. I'm not a fan of Asrock. I use Asus & MSI primarily. Looking around at mouse issues for Asrock, I learned that it has a special mouse port and special software for configuring the mouse. These seems to be a whole additional layer of mouse problems associated with this. Aaaarghh.

Last edited:
Back