Mouse won't work due to changes in msconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to clean up some startup items by using msconfig in Windows XP. I believe I did uncheck some logitech programs for my wireless usb mouse (maybe keyboard as well). When I restarted it, my mouse didn't move at all. I can't use it to log in any accounts. I don't know if there is keyboard shortcut for account selections. It seems no response at all. But F2, F8 or F12 seem work during the start up process. However, even I tried to log in under the safe mode, I still ran into problem that I can't select any account (adminstor or my own account) since mouse didn't move at all. I also tried to restart by selecting last successful log-in, that attempt brought me back to the regular account selections screen. I don't think it is any hardware failure involved. Should I get a new USB cord mouse and keyboard to log in? would it work? Thanks.

The tab key normally moves the 'focus' on your desktop. The item having the focus appears highlighted, and can be selected by pressing the 'enter' key. So you ought to be able to log in and then navigate to edit msconfig, and re-select your logitech drivers for keyboard and mouse. However, although it is possible to entirely run Windows without a mouse, I am not going to pretend it does not need a fair bit of practice !

You should just borrow a usb keyboard and maybe ps/2 mouse depending upon what connectors you have available. Once you can navigate in a familiar way, just set msconfig to rights and you should be ok.

I would on the other hand, suggest you always have reasonably easy access to a usb keyboard and mouse, just because wireless ones are so much less reliable.

Another way of getting back is to do a system restore to before you de-selected your logitech drivers, and for that you would need an install CD and a little expert advice (although plenty of advice on that topic is readily found on the internet).

First, understand there are 2 phases of startup
When you first power on and see the splash screen, your BIOS is controlling the USB ports. That's one reason your keyboard Fn-keys are working.

Once you see the Windows startup screen, its Windows controlling your USB ports.

So, it sounds like your devices (at least keyboard) is working because it responds under BIOS control.

Second, understand that Windows includes generic USB mouse/keyboard drivers. Turning off Logitech stuff should only prevent Logitech "add-ons" from working (e.g. customizable kybrd and mouse keys) but you should still have basic mouse and keyboard functionality with the generic drivers.

So... it sounds like your problem might be hardware (like a problem with USB on your motherboard) maybe software (somethings corrupted and USB controllers aren't working)

Things to try:
> Borrow a friend's wired USB mouse (probably won't work but if easy to borrow is worth the try)
> as already suggested, also try a ps/2 keyboard/mouse (you may need to add an adapter card if your computer doesn't already have a ps/2 interface)

You might also need to just do a reformat and reinstall if all else fails. Start with [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

I just happened to re-read gbhall's post and trying a system restore, if possible, is also an excellent idea

thank you for the input. I must have deleted/unchecked something without knowing what it is......

the new usb mouse and keyboard didn't work either... my old computer dell E510 didn't have ps2 port. Probably I should try system restore.

First, understand there are 2 phases of startup
When you first power on and see the splash screen, your BIOS is controlling the USB ports. That's one reason your keyboard Fn-keys are working.

Once you see the Windows startup screen, its Windows controlling your USB ports.

So, it sounds like your devices (at least keyboard) is working because it responds under BIOS control.

Second, understand that Windows includes generic USB mouse/keyboard drivers. Turning off Logitech stuff should only prevent Logitech "add-ons" from working (e.g. customizable kybrd and mouse keys) but you should still have basic mouse and keyboard functionality with the generic drivers.

So... it sounds like your problem might be hardware (like a problem with USB on your motherboard) maybe software (somethings corrupted and USB controllers aren't working)

Things to try:
> Borrow a friend's wired USB mouse (probably won't work but if easy to borrow is worth the try)
> as already suggested, also try a ps/2 keyboard/mouse (you may need to add an adapter card if your computer doesn't already have a ps/2 interface)

You might also need to just do a reformat and reinstall if all else fails. Start with [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

now i am worried if I can handle the system restore.. first of all, i don't even have the system CD. My computer is Dell Dimension E510 with Windows XP Media Center Edition. probably I should try PS2 mouse and keyboard first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back