TechSpot

Mouseover flash drive question

By Soundguy585
Sep 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello All. I have been researching the reason why I cannot get the data balloon when I mouseover the inserted flash drive in "my computer". I am using windows xp x64. I get the balloon for the hard drives, cd drives. Is it just not programmed into windows or is something wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thanx.

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,450   +242

Are you talking about this? Drive.JPG If you are, I don't get a balloon when I mouse over my flashdrive. But when I right click it, I get the info.Yes,that balloon is my C:Drive.

3. Soundguy585

Soundguy585 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Yes that's it, but it doesn't do that when I hover over the flash drives.

4. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,450   +242

Neither does mine. I'm on my XP Pro. It may not be programmed in,sorry, I don't know.

5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,365   +53

It won't be programmed because a plugged-in device on a USB connector can be pretty well anything - camera, mouse, keyboard, printer, flash drive etc etc. It would be a lot of code for the device to be interrogated by the OS, explain what it is, and report free space or whatever, just for no real reason at all.....you are drawing attention to one of the reasons win7 is a huge bloated thing over the size of XP :)

6. Soundguy585

Soundguy585 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Thank you gbhall for your insightful reply. I kinda figured it was something that was not meant to be. It's no big problem, I just thought it would be nice to be able to do.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.