Moved old HDD to another desktop, receiving "no disk installed" at partition screen

First off the hard drive model is the Samsung HD160jj. I recently had my old computer die that the drive originally came with so I decided to pop the drive into another old desktop I've got laying around that doesn't have one(or a floppy drive for that matter). Both mobos were SATA so I was able to connect the drive to the "new" desktop without a problem. I don't know how exactly to find the motherboard model due to not being able to load windows(I can reach the windows XP loading screen but my computer blue screens 3/4 of the way as the bar goes from left to right). It's a seanix cq126a-b1 model and that's all I can really find out about the machine. Anyway what do I need to fix this issue? I'm currently typing this from a MAC and that will probably make things even more difficult. I've read on other boards where people have required drivers to identify the HDD but if the motherboard supports SATA already why would I need additional drivers?

Actually, while I was in my bios it says at the top "AMIBIOS NEW SETUP UTILITY". I suppose it's safe to assume it's an american megatrends motherboard? Thanks in advance..

The blue screen likely because of the hardware differences between the computers causing it to BSOD (blue screen of death).

You will need to install a fresh copy of Windows XP in all likelihood in order to get it working. You will also require the SATA driver for your chipset/motherboard so you can press F6 at the start of the Windows setup procedure in order to load the driver to allow the Windows CD to identify your hard disk.

Windows XP does not natively support SATA disks, unless you have the option to make the SATA drives work under legacy or IDE from within BIOS.

Back