[Moved] Windows Vista freezes in normal mode

Dear Support Team,

I have a laptop that I use for official and personal purposes. From the past 4 days I've been having trouble booting the system in normal mode. After a few seconds of showing up the desktop, the system just freezes/hangs and does not respond to any of the mouse clicks or any requests that I make.

Below are my laptop specifications and I purchased it on 15-Apr-2009.

Windows edition:
----------------
Windows Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 2

System:
-------
Manufacturer = Dell
Model = Vostro V1510
Processor = Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5870 @ 2GHz 2GHz
Memory (RAM) = 3 GB
System type = 32-bit operating system

I have the e-Scan anti virus installed.

The problem started on 10-Apr. I was able to boot successfully in normal mode on 10-Apr morning and use the laptop without any issues until sometime in the noon. From 10-Apr evening or night the problem started appearing, and I was not able to boot in the normal mode anymore, and the problem still persists.

I'm able to boot my laptop in Safe mode. In the 'Safe mode with networking' I can also connect to internet from LAN and Wireless.

In normal mode the system boots up until I view the desktop, but only a few system icons are loaded like volume, Network and Battery, the other icons are not loaded.
And once these icons are loaded I see a cursor symbol (a round one) that indicates that the system is performing someting and that I have to wait till it completes, but I see that it never completes and thats when I call it hung/frozen and the only option left for me at this point is to forcefully shut it down by pressing the power button.

I was in Safe mode and I just wanted to see if all files on the disk in C drive (files used by the system) are readable, so I tried to copy a hidden folder ProgramData
into an external drive, but this gave errors "An unexpected error is preventing the operation" and "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" while copying the file Cache.001 located at C:\ProgramData\MicroWorld\eScanBD\plugins. I instructed the system to try copying this file again, and the system hung. After restarting in Safe mode again I tried to perform the same copy and when it threw the above error I instructed the system to skip this file, but the system hung again. This could possibly mean that the system is unable to read the file cache.001. The last modified time of this file shows as 10-apr-2012 around 6pm thats the day when my system started hanging. So I set Startup type = Disabled and Manual for all eScan services in Services.msc and tried to boot the system in normal mode, but this hung again.

Please note that there is one CRITICAL event logged in the event logs below that could give some hints about the reason for the problem. Also note that some of the event logs were generated from safe mode, and some others were from normal mode. I was trying to boot in both modes alternatively to find out more information when these logs were written.

Any help would be highly commendable. This issue is blocking me from using my laptop to complete some of my critical official work assignments.
Looking forward to your reply.

Please bear with me for any information that was not required, its just an attempt to put down maximum possible details so that it helps in analysing the issue faster.

I looked up in Event logs under Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System and got the following different types of errors and warnings, latest ones are at the top. I've
mentioned the dates so you know which ones appeared on 10-Apr when the problem started. I tried booting in normal mode today also, but it froze again. Today's event logs also I've captured and put them below with date.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These were the event logs generated on 10-Apr on which day the problem started. Latest ones are at the top.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10-apr-2012
11.48.50 pm
Error = The description for Event ID 15005 from source Microsoft-Windows-HttpEvent cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
Diagnostic Policy Service
running
the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

Error = The description for Event ID 15005 from source Microsoft-Windows-HttpEvent cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
Bluetooth Support Service
running
the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

11.48.44 pm
Error = The description for Event ID 7000 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
23:49:39
10-04-2012
Source = Service Control Manager Eventlog Provider
Event id = 7000

Error = The MemeoBackgroundService service entered the running state.
Source = EventLog
Event id = 6008

Warning = The ReadyBoost service entered the running state.
Source = RTL8169
Event id = 1

Error = The description for Event ID 55 from source Ntfs cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the
installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Cryptographic Services
running
Source = Ntfs
Event id = 55

11.37.58 pm
Error = The Andrea RT Filters Service service entered the running state.
Event id = 7026

Error = The Print Spooler service entered the running state.
Event id = 7001

11.37.33 pm
Error = The description for Event ID 10005 from source Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Themes
running
Source = DistributedCOM
Event id = 10005

Error = The description for Event ID 10000 from source Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Group Policy Client
running
Source = WLAN-AutoConfig
Event id = 10000

Error = The description for Event ID 10005 from source Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Windows Audio
running
Source = DistributedCOM
Event id = 10005

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
running
Source = DistributedCOM
Event id = 10005

Error = The description for Event ID 263 from source PlugPlayManager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Windows Event Log
running

Warning = The description for Event ID 263 from source PlugPlayManager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local
computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Windows Event Log
running
Source = PlugPlayManager
Event id = 263

Error = The Event log service was started.
Source = EventLog
Event id = 6008

Warning = The DCOM Server Process Launcher service entered the running state.
Source = RTL8169
Event id = 1

Error = The description for Event ID 55 from source Ntfs cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the
installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Plug and Play
running

11.22.28 pm
Error = The description for Event ID 7000 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Service Pack 2
Multiprocessor Free
Event id = 7000

MWAgent
running
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

eScan Monitor Service
running
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

Error = The Function Discovery Resource Publication service entered the running state.
Source = EventLog
Event id = 6008

10-apr-2012 11.21.19pm
CRITICAL = The description for Event ID 41 from source Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
drupalMySQL
running
Source = Kernel-Power
Event id = 41

Warning = The Bluetooth Support Service service entered the running state.
Source = RTL8169
Event id = 1

Tablet PC Input Service
running
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

Security Accounts Manager
running
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

Error = The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service entered the running state.
Event id = 7000

Warning = The IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules service entered the running state.
Source = RTL8169
Event id = 1

Warning = The description for Event ID 4001 from source Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Bluetooth Support Service
running
Source = WLAN-AutoConfig
Event id = 4001

Warning = The description for Event ID 10002 from source Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Diagnostic Policy Service
running
Source = WLAN-AutoConfig
Event id = 10002

7.12.21 pm
Error = The description for Event ID 9 from source iaStor cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the
Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
running
The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file
Source = iaStor
Event id = 9

Warning = The description for Event ID 4 from source Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Multimedia Class Scheduler
running
Source = FilterManager
Event id = 4

Warning = The description for Event ID 4 from source Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Windows Event Log
running
Source = FilterManager
Event id = 4

Warning = File System Filter 'luafv' (6.0, 19-01-2008 AM 11:00:35) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.
Source = FilterManager
Event id = 4

Source = FilterManager
Event id = 4

Error = The system uptime is 38 seconds.
Source = BROWSER
Event id = 8032

Warning = The Event log service was started.
Source = BROWSER
Event id = 8021

Warning =
The description for Event ID 4 from source Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Network Store Interface Service
stopped
Source = FilterManager
Event id = 4

2.10.46 pm

bdfsfltr
EV_RenderedValue_5.00
\Device\CdRom0
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

Google Update Service (gupdate)
stopped
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

Error = The Network Connections service entered the running state.
Event id =7000

Warning = The drupalMySQL service entered the running state.
Source = RTL8169
Event id = 1

Warning = The description for Event ID 4001 from source Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Application Experience
running
Source = WLAN-AutoConfig
Event id = 4001

Warning = The description for Event ID 10002 from source Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Andrea RT Filters Service
running
Source = WLAN-AutoConfig
Event id = 10002

Shell Hardware Detection
running
Source = FilterManager
Event id = 4

System Event Notification Service
running
Source = FilterManager
Event id = 4

1.57.52 pm
Error = The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the running state.
Event id = 7000

Network Location Awareness
running
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

Program Compatibility Assistant Service
running
Source = HttpEvent
Event id = 15005

Warning = The ReadyBoost service entered the running state.
Source = RTL8169
Event id = 1

Application Experience
running
Source = WLAN-AutoConfig
Event id = 4001

Parallel port driver
%%1058
Source = WLAN-AutoConfig
Event id = 10002

12.06 am
Error = The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service entered the running state.
Event id = 7031

These were the event logs when I restarted my laptop today in normal mode. Latest logs are at the top.

14-Apr-2012, time of booting = 12.59pm
1.11.36pm
Error = The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS.
Source = Ntfs
Event id = 55

Error = DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}
Source = DistributedCOM
Event id = 10005

Error = The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.
Event id = 7001

Error = The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the Ancilliary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
Event id = 7001

Error = The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancilliary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

1.11.28 pm
Error = The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI proxy service service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Event id = 7001

1.11.28 pm
Error = The TCP/IP Registry Compatibility service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

1.11.28 pm
Error = The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
DfsC
NetBIOS
netbt
nsiproxy
PSched
RasAcd
rdbss
Smb
spldr
Tcpip
tdx
Wanarpv6
ws2ifsl
Event id = 7026

Error = The SMB 1.x MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub Sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The WebDav Client Redirector Driver service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub Sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The Network Location Awareness service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The IP Helper service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = The WebClient service depends on the WebDav Client Redirector Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
Event id = 7001

Error = DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
Source = DistributedCOM
Event id = 10005

Error = DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{A47979D2-C419-11D9-A5B4-001185AD2B89}
Source = DistributedCOM
Event id = 10005

Error = DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}
Source = DistributedCOM
Event id = 10005

1.10.55 pm
Error = DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}
Source = DistributedCOM
Event id = 10005

Warning = The service 'TabletInputService' may not have unregistered for device event notifications before it was stopped.
Source = PlugPlayManager
Event id = 263

1.02.13 pm
Error = The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Event id = 7000

Error = The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 30000 milliseconds: Restart

the service.
Event id = 7031

Error = The Windows Search service terminated with service-specific error 2147749155 (0x80040D23).
Event id = 7024

Error = The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 30000 milliseconds: Restart

the service.
Event id = 7031

Error = The Windows Search service terminated with service-specific error 2147749155 (0x80040D23).
Event id = 7024

1.02.01 pm
Error = The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS.
Source = Ntfs
Event id = 55

1.01.51 pm
Source = Ntfs
Event id = 55

1.01.50 pm
Error = The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:.
Source = Ntfs
Event id = 55

1.01.07pm
Warning = Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is disconnected from network.
Source = RTL8169
Event id = 1

Looking forward to your reply.
Thankyou.

I am having your thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Please stay subscribed.

Back