TechSpot

Moving from Windows Server NT to Windows Server 2003

By RJ831
Mar 8, 2006
  1. Well we're finally upgrading our server from Windows NT to Windows 2003. Is there any way to import/export all of my data onto the new server? Or should I just share everything I have on NT and then just copy/cut all the information and paste it onto 2003? I'm just trying to figure out what will be the easiest way to move everything since I have about 700 users on NT lol. I really don't want to type all the names in again on 2003....Thanks in advance! :approve:

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

3. RJ831

RJ831 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 77

I'm not upgrading my current server. We bought a brand new Dell PowerEdge 1800 with Server 2003 and I'd like to import all the users from my old NT Server...

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Ouch.. That's trouble :)

Is your current server a domain controller? If yes, then that's what I'd do:
    Upgrade the current NT server to 2003.
    Install the new server as another domain controller for the same domain and synchronise the two.
    Kill the old server.

5. RJ831

RJ831 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 77

^What's a domain controller? The domain on my windows nt server was "school_lab".....Is there any kind of export/import feature so that I don't have to type in 600 usernames/passwords onto my 2003 server?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.