TechSpot

Moving Hard Drive From Old To New Computer

By dmcrme
Sep 22, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I can only get to safe modes screen and no choices on that window will work, cannot get to windows logon screen. Bios sees hdd. need help!
  2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

Hello, dmcrme, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
    Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, are you using the old hard drive as your new main one or have you put it in as a secondary drive?
  3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,624

that was the first question I was going to ask and say u will have to format it if u want it to be the system drive with Windows, or at least do a repair on the drive to make it bootable.
  4. dmcrme

dmcrme TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks...everybody I got it

Thanks for your help...all is good now.
  5. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

glad to hear you got it sorted :)

just for future reference, how did you fix it? :)
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

You cannot reuse windows on 1 system in another. Not only illegal but windows configures itself for each computer it is loaded on.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.