TechSpot

Moving my music collection from Ubuntu to Windows - metadata problem

By Envergure
Oct 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Short version:
    How do I get Windows Media Player to recognize the metadata in my large collection of Ogg Vorbis files and sort them into artists and albums?

Long verison:
    When I was using Ubuntu, I shifted a great many of my Dad's LPs to Ogg Vorbis format, and tagged them with Audacity or Rhythmbox.

Now, due to U of Ontario IT's habit of using Windows, I'm copying the collection to Windows 7 because I want to listen to my music while working.

Once I went through my songs and manually changed many of them to valid Windows filenames, I copied the entire collection to my new laptop. I got Windows Media Player to load the files into its library, but it doesn't recognize the metadata. Everything appears under one album called "Unknown Album / Unknown Artist".

Thanks
    - Chris

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,358   +283

Not sure if this will help but have you tried loading you ogg files in foobar or some other player? I've never had problems viewing ogg metadata with foobar - available at http://foobar2000.org

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.