Moving old hard drive to new system...problem!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not terribly knowledgable about computers but get by considering im only an architect....so the following might sound a bit silly!!!
i had a hard drive in my old p3 dual processor machine....have an amd machine now and wanted to move the drive without having to reinstall everything!!! i deleted the hkey_current_config > system > currentcontrolset > enum entry from the registry (this worked for me before) ....i then installed the old drive into the new machine....everything looked fine.....booted to win2k logon screen but then i discovered....the keyboard and mouse didnt work so i couldnt log on....even tried a usb keyboard but to no avail.....still the same problem when i try to boot to safe mode !!! the keyboard seems to stop working just after win 2k starts to load....num lock comes on and stays on....have tried unpluging it and then plugging it back in....even booting with no keyboard.....anybody have any idea what has gone wrong or how i might fix the problem!!!?? thanks in advance!!!!

Welcome to TechSpot

Are you sure you did not swap the mouse and keyboard cables on your PC?

If they ARE correct, I would suggest your best bet is to buy another harddisk, install that as master and move your old harddisk up to slave.
Then install W2K fresh on that new HD, followed by the driver-CD that came with your new mobo. Next install Service Pack 4 (or SP3 if you have not got SP4).
If you have Drive Image or Norton Ghost, make an image of the situation now.

Then successively install the old programs that you still want, and copy the program data-files over from your old harddisk.
If you use the same names and locations as on your old disk, you should be able to copy without any problems.

When all is done, you can erase or re-format your old disk.
Now go to the pub and have a few cool San Miguel's. Cheers!

(You'll be grateful for the smooth running, a fresh install is always advisable when changing mobo's)

Why do you think it is a bad hard drive?

I would do the repair process, suggested in the previous post has worked for me in the past.

Odd problem though.

I don't think RealBlackStuff is suggesting it's a bad hard drive Deal Svengali - he's only suggesting a viable workaround if the keyboard and mouse are verified to be plugged into the correct ports and still don't work - and having a 2nd hard drive will be a convenient addition to that AMD system as well, in my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back