TechSpot

Moving single C: drive to Raid-0

By Mugsy
Jun 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have 64bit Win7 Home. My C: boot drive is a 120GB SSD with most of my programs installed on an ordinary HDD, saving the SSD for frequently used stuff.

I bought a duplicate SSD (same brand/size/model) for the purpose of creating a Raid-0 array.

I've backed up everything on my SSD, but how do I restore it once I setup the Raid?

Thx.

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Copy/paste?

Or create image of the SSD, then apply it to the raid partition.

3. Mugsy

Mugsy TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 359   +6

How do I Raid my C: drive together with the other, boot from just one, then overwrite both?

4. Mugsy

Still need help.

What I've done so far:
    1. Using a spare drive, I cloned my Win7 installation to it and am now running off it. (I also did a standard backup.)
    2. I installed my new 2nd SSD and created a Raid-0 array with my original drive.
    3. Formatted the Raid from the Windows Disk Manager.
    Problem now is, I can't simply Restore my original non-Raid install of Windows to the Raid drive b/c it's not configured for Raid. Windows must be installed from scratch to the Raid drive so that all necessary drivers are in place.

What I need is a way to copy my Windows 7 "Files & Settings" the way you could with the old "Files & Settings Transfer Wizard" in XP or Vista (which won't run in W7, I tried) and restore them back after Install Win7 from scratch on the Raid.

Reconfiguring Windows & Reinstalling and every program by hand is NOT an option.

Thx.

5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

You don't. You can't. Once you RAID0 some drives, they're erased.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix your problem. But I'd do it like this:
    • Image the RAID0 array with your backup image. The files will all be there,but it won't boot.
    • Find out how to manually install RAID drivers on the Windows installation.
    • Boot into a Linux distro via USB, then place the required drivers on the RAID array.
    • Windows should then boot.

6. Mugsy

Sorry, I was being a bit factious, pointing out that one can't simply "copy/paste" Windows from one drive to another.

In the end, Windows must be installed anew on a Raid drive b/c the original would not have the proper drivers in place.

The final solution was to back up my C drive and use the "Windows Easy Transfer" utility to back-up my programs & settings, then restore them to the Raid after reinstalling Windows.

There was a bit of configuring to do afterwards, but far less painless.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,024   +591

Btw: Are / were you aware that Microsoft discourages having the boot drive in a raid configuration?

Raid is intended for data and primarily for server data.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014