Moving single C: drive to Raid-0

Mugsy

I have 64bit Win7 Home. My C: boot drive is a 120GB SSD with most of my programs installed on an ordinary HDD, saving the SSD for frequently used stuff.

I bought a duplicate SSD (same brand/size/model) for the purpose of creating a Raid-0 array.

I've backed up everything on my SSD, but how do I restore it once I setup the Raid?

Thx.

Still need help.

What I've done so far:
  1. Using a spare drive, I cloned my Win7 installation to it and am now running off it. (I also did a standard backup.)
  2. I installed my new 2nd SSD and created a Raid-0 array with my original drive.
  3. Formatted the Raid from the Windows Disk Manager.
Problem now is, I can't simply Restore my original non-Raid install of Windows to the Raid drive b/c it's not configured for Raid. Windows must be installed from scratch to the Raid drive so that all necessary drivers are in place.

What I need is a way to copy my Windows 7 "Files & Settings" the way you could with the old "Files & Settings Transfer Wizard" in XP or Vista (which won't run in W7, I tried) and restore them back after Install Win7 from scratch on the Raid.

Reconfiguring Windows & Reinstalling and every program by hand is NOT an option.

Thx.

How do I Raid my C: drive together with the other, boot from just one, then overwrite both?
You don't. You can't. Once you RAID0 some drives, they're erased.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix your problem. But I'd do it like this:
  • Image the RAID0 array with your backup image. The files will all be there,but it won't boot.
  • Find out how to manually install RAID drivers on the Windows installation.
  • Boot into a Linux distro via USB, then place the required drivers on the RAID array.
  • Windows should then boot.

You don't. You can't. Once you RAID0 some drives, they're erased.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix your problem. But I'd do it like this:
  • Image the RAID0 array with your backup image. The files will all be there,but it won't boot.
  • Find out how to manually install RAID drivers on the Windows installation.
  • Boot into a Linux distro via USB, then place the required drivers on the RAID array.
  • Windows should then boot.

Sorry, I was being a bit factious, pointing out that one can't simply "copy/paste" Windows from one drive to another.

In the end, Windows must be installed anew on a Raid drive b/c the original would not have the proper drivers in place.

The final solution was to back up my C drive and use the "Windows Easy Transfer" utility to back-up my programs & settings, then restore them to the Raid after reinstalling Windows.

There was a bit of configuring to do afterwards, but far less painless.

Btw: Are / were you aware that Microsoft discourages having the boot drive in a raid configuration?

Raid is intended for data and primarily for server data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back