TechSpot

Mozilla announces plans to test sponsored tiles on Firefox's new-tab page

1. Just a few months after announcing the idea, Mozilla has said that the company will go ahead and test a plan to sell sponsored Tiles on Firefox's new-tab page.

Read more

2. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,035   +269

I understand that every software project has to have a source of revenue to keep them going, but if this every becomes, I.e., in other words, shows advertised content beyond the learning period, then this is where I drop firefox. I've been using them for years, however, 99.9 percent of all advertising I see delivered to me these days has virtually bearing on what I would actually buy. In fact, I am more likely to not buy something knowing that marketers attempt to make people feel weak so that those same people will rush right out and buy their products. Personally, I am tired of being pandered to by marketers, and as I see it, this will be one more step in a direction that I find completely valueless.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

psycros likes this.
  4. Its time to start building a real opensource and independent browser and operating system
    lol just a dream was haha

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

After you've finished with your internet session do what many sensible people do, clean up with CCleaner and use an ad blocker. Marketers can't annoy you with ad's you can't see. That said I'd rather use IE instead of Firefox but I use neither.

6. This is terrible for distraction-prone people like myself who like to get work done. I specifically go to lengths to configure my computer and desk environment to remove as many distractions as possible. If I have to see ads for Facebook and Twitter and whatever else every time I go to open a new tab then I'll definitely be avoiding Firefox.

7. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,319   +709

Meh, I'm not too concerned about this. Who actually sees that screen? How often do people really open blank tabs? I bet most of us just right-click links and then pick "open in new tab". If it keeps FF alive long enough for sanity to reassert itself at Mozilla it will be more than worth it. Not that I'm very hopeful at this point - if not for Classic Theme Restorer I'd already be gone.

8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +162

Yeah but it is to bad that ccleaner removes all your adblock extensions on google chrome.

9. nicholassimon

nicholassimon TS Rookie

I can't say I agree 100% though Firefox can be justified in trying to monetise themselves. More money in the pockets could mean more money for development and a better browser. Nothing wrong with that, though it would depend on how it is implemented.

To be honest I still use about:blank (without any tiles) as my homepage, much less distracting, just keep all your bookmarks in the bookmarks bar, more productive.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

trgz likes this.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

You serious??? I've never had a problem with it before. I've found the two work flawlessly together.:confused:

12. trgz

trgz TS Booster Posts: 153   +23

Nice one. Just installed FVD Speed Dial and I love the way you can drop bookmarks into it

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +162

It does on mine! idk why maybe I need to change some settings.

14. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

What has mozilla been doing with itself if it took this long to come out with tiles? How long has windows 8 been out? It's like download.com. Brother bought a win 7 computer 1 year after ie9 was out and guess what you couldn't do at download.com? You couldn't download.

15. It look like google chrome...

16. Skidmarksdeluxe

You can give it a bash. I generally use Chrome's default settings. CCleaner takes a bit more time to setup depending on your preferences.

Last edited: May 14, 2014